KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hard times and people wanting a bargin and Ktm charging a premium:eek: for there spare parts!!!!!! :confused: so whats best oem in orange box or same in the manufactures packaging from either APICO/CI SPORT/RFX/?????

I.E.
polisport plastics
accerbis tanks/seats
renthal bars
brembo brakes
regina chains
vertex pistons
twinair filters
hiflo filters
ngk plugs/caps
elko pistons
athena gaskets
nsk bearings

etc etc

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Hate to play devils advocate but if KTM don't charge big then how do they develop and market the new bikes that we break? That said I have a bent rear disc and front pipe that I will be ordering from yourself, once the bruises I have let me reach for my wallet!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
hmmm, if the ktm stuff has its own ktm guarantee and you can get good support from the shop you bought it from if you need it then it is worth the extra for the occasional buyer. however if you race or are constantly buying stuff then I figure get the stuff you are familliar and happy with irrespective of the cost. Both are fine and to be honest, I never had too many issues with the prices of stuff but would also buy non-ktm branded stuff as well....

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would go for Quality over price...money permitting (generally get what you pay for...but it does pay to shop around of course)...at that mo though I'm on the dole queue, so whatever it takes to keep the bike running...

·
Registered
446 Posts
In hard times and people wanting a bargin and Ktm charging a premium:eek: for there spare parts!!!!!! :confused: so whats best oem in orange box or same in the manufactures packaging from either APICO/CI SPORT/RFX/?????

I.E.
polisport plastics
accerbis tanks/seats
renthal bars
brembo brakes
regina chains
vertex pistons
twinair filters
hiflo filters
ngk plugs/caps
elko pistons
athena gaskets
nsk bearings

etc etc
And where do you think KTM get them from?????????????

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Perhaps the secret is in doing thorough research.

Sometimes OEM spec parts are produced to a very tight target price by component manufacturers. Non-OEM parts might be to a better technical spec for a cheaper price (they don't carry the 'OEM brand' overhead/premium pricing). For example, you can buy far higher specification replacement handlebars for a cheaper price than a set of fairly bog standard OEM spec ones.

I'd be more concerned about some of the fake parts (both OEM and non-OEM) that appear from time to time in the UK - especially safety critical parts like brake pads made from sintered cardboard or resin impregnated recycled budgie grit. There are some really scary fake parts coming out of the Far East with what looks like reputable branding on the packaging.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
hmmm, if the ktm stuff has its own ktm guarantee and you can get good support from the shop you bought it from if you need it then it is worth the extra for the occasional buyer. ....
........ and you have the comfort of knowing that when you go to fit official KTM parts - they should fit with no hassle - not having to attack new parts with a rasp, hammer and a cold chisel to effect a bodged interference fit (plus or minus 50 thou')

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And where do you think KTM get them from?????????????
we know were ktm get them from, the point were getting at is do you buy a spark plug from ngk for £4 in there yellow box or buy a ngk plug in an orange box for £11.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Somethings i would always buy OEM. Filters,brake-levers for instance. Others, what-ever is cheapest and what i can get hold of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts