KTM Owners Forum banner

Oh No, Not an Oil Thread!

6K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Ship 
#1 ·
Hey,
Been awhile since Ive brought oil, and im using Castrol 10-50 full Sync, but I think I rememnder this stuff from awhile back...

Putoline - Nano Tech 4+ Off Road 10W-50

Anyone else use this?

#6 ·
Just one thing to add, if I may? Given the importance of oil to the engine, is it something you really want to do on the cheap? I understand you want to get the best deal for a good oil, but I'd still stick with a decent oil and hunt for the best price, rather than look for a cheaper brand. That's not to say that Putoline is somehow a lesser oil (I don't actually know that much about it if I'm honest), but wanted to try and get across the often overlooked importance of oil to the engine. Not really aimed at OP but since the topic came up I thought I'd mention it for anyone who looks at this later.

The reason I say this? I have worked in the engine oil product development and technology business for over 25 years, for a brand you will know. I won't say who because I want to stay impartial, but needless to say it's something I am quite passionate about.

#7 ·
According to the KTM manual (for the 990 superduke), the oil just need to fulfill JASO T903 MA standard and be 10W50 for our climate.

Most fully synth motorcycle oils available today are JASO MA2, so I think you'd have try hard to find a motorcycle specific fully synthetic oil that doesn't exceed the standard set by KTM.
Are you suggesting this is not enough?

#8 ·
JASO MA is a clutch slip spec. That’s it. There’s no engine performance in the spec. Motorcycle oils are largely uncontrolled in terms of meaningful specs, meaning there is a lot of scope for differences between oils. So no, it’s not really enough (IMO). That said any motorcycle oil that is fully synthetic is likely to be at least half-decent.

#10 ·
I've always used castrol power racing in my 990's when doing home oil changes with no problems. One would hope Castrol know what they are doing by now! Is there a really bad oil nowadays? Even the unbranded stuff is generally something else with a different label on it. I believe KTM part own/own Motorex so are bound to recommend that but generally don't car/bike manufacturers just recommend oil from whoever will give them the best deal at that particular time?

#11 ·
They way I've understood it (which is probably not correct :D) is that fully synth is better than semi synth... and of the fully synth oils the ester base ones are better than POA based oils.

Other than that, as a consumer, we can not determine much else from the marketing crap.

I tend to like the Silkolene brand but I don't believe it is significantly better or worse than any other "premium" brand.

Whilst I think there is nothing wrong with Motorex oil I don't like the tie up between KTM & Motorex and believe that a premium is being put on the oil because of this.

#12 ·
They way I've understood it (which is probably not correct :D) is that fully synth is better than semi synth... and of the fully synth oils the ester base ones are better than POA based oils.
In very broad terms, this is correct (assuming you ignore price in your consideration of "better"). However esters are generally used alongside PAO, rather than as a full substitute.

Other than that, as a consumer, we can not determine much else from the marketing crap.

I tend to like the Silkolene brand but I don't believe it is significantly better or worse than any other "premium" brand.

Whilst I think there is nothing wrong with Motorex oil I don't like the tie up between KTM & Motorex and believe that a premium is being put on the oil because of this.
There are all sorts of ways that an OEM will get involved with an oil company. It could be as simple as a paid-for endorsement or as deep as a genuine technology and engineering co-development. Having an OEM endorsement or recommendation is a very strong pull for the average purchaser of oil, for whom the specifications and approvals can be confusing.

#14 ·
I ran my SMT on Castrol 1 Racing 10-50. The workshop who did my servicing (ex KTM franchise) have been using it for years in 990s. They've had 990 Advs through their hands with over 90,000 on the clock that were running fine. That was good enough for me. Readily available on-line or in Halfords for top-ups.

#15 ·
I ran my SMT on Castrol Power1 Racing 4T 10W-50. The workshop who did my servicing (ex KTM franchise) have been using it for years in 990s. They've had 990 Advs through their hands with over 90,000 on the clock that were running fine. That was good enough for me. Readily available on-line or in Halfords for top-ups.
That’s what will be going in mine when it gets serviced (edited above for detail:)).

#17 ·
I chose Castrol 1 because, on top of a mechanic's recommendation, it is freely available in Halfords and some supermarket forecourts. Nearly all 990 engines use oil to some extent and you need top ups. I used to go touring on my SMT so I wanted oil I could buy anywhere.

#23 ·
Im due to pick my new to me 950sm up later today so have been following various oil threads and thought sod it i will fone my local KTM dealer which is Teesdales at Thirsk and asked them what they use/reccommend and they said MOTUL 10-50 is what they use in all KTMs that go in for service and that includes the 950/990, so im assuming if you have dealer serviced bike and the motor goes pop for whatever reason the dealer using a different oil that the manufacturer reccomend surely your warranty is still valid !

#24 ·
It's the dealer service that matters and not which oil is used.
KTM recommend Motorex but they do not mandate it.
As long as it's Fully Synthetic and 10W50 motorcycle specific oil (JASO T903 MA or better) then their requirements have been met.

BTW - I have just put Motul 7100 10W50 in my 1190 Adventure and when my 990 become due it will be getting some also.
This is mainly because I have found a shop that does the 7100 and an oil filter at a really good price (including the shipping).

#26 ·
oh... and Motul 7100 10W50 actually states it is for use with KTM's on the bottle & website, which is nice...

"100% synthetic 4-Stroke lubricant – Ester Technology – Meets bike manufacturer specifications, especially KTM and HUSQVARNA which recommend SAE 10W50 for some models."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.