KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on my first outing today and the bike is awsome! Some serious power to get used to lol.

Anyway after an hour or so i noticed oil leaking from the left side cover (stator side) should oil even be getting into that side or has the seal failed??

·
Premium Member
31,406 Posts
When you have the cover off, check that the dowels are in place at top left and bottom right. They can fall out and cause chaos.
Those are where the longer screws go btw :)
No need to vertighten the screws as all you will do is break the top left tag off the cover.....

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Discovered there was oil in here today. In the bottom of the stator under the flywheel is a gauze that allows some oil in. This is to lube the camchain.
you aint even close :eek:

the plastic cover is there to stop debris entering the crank in the event of a top end failiure, its there for protection. Many race engines dont use it along with the earlier pre 03 ktm's its not fitted.

·
Registered
804 Posts
What the oil is there for protection? Looking in it looked like a controlled amount of oil is allowed in to maintain lubrication of the cam chain. Didn't see a plastic guard may check that out later

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Its the oil return route from the top of the motor. Hence the trap. if the cam breaks down it stops metal flakes entering other parts of the motor. The top end oil supply is the plated pipe that comes up the rear of the cylinder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On 4T KTMs the stator/flywheel run in oil. What bike and year. Its a gasket on the RFS engines.

Do you know if a 2007 Ktm 450sxf is suppose to have oil in stator ? Mine is leaking from gasket. Wondering if it’s a bad Stator gasket or bad crank seal... Possibly bad oil pump o ring

1 - 15 of 15 Posts