KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
Yes, plastic gear melts causing death. It should’ve been sorted under warranty though by now?

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I have only heard that a pin on the secondary oil pump may be sheared off causing the oil pump to stop....

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Reading this sort of stuff makes me feel sad that I own a KTM! Never again, that's for sure!

Reactions: NKL

·
Registered
388 Posts
Reading this sort of stuff makes me feel sad that I own a KTM! Never again, that's for sure!
Remember these are very isolated cases, I know two Technicians that work for large KTM dealerships, one of them has never seen this problem, and has sold many 4strokes, and the other has seen one (it may be the one in this post)
However I don’t think there is a single manufacturer out there with out it’s faults, Many of them pretty bad ones,
Don’t forget you also never get the full story of events that lead to some of thees failures,over in the states many owners choose to run there pride and joy KTM’s on Rotella Diesel engine oil, Then moan like mad when the motor shits it self.
I agree that they maybe cutting costs but so is every manufacturer,
I’m a master tech for one of the Japanese franchise but I still choose to ride a KTM, There’s no getting away from it that they are the complete package even with cost cutting,Can’t really think of another manufacturer that comes close with the choice that KTM give us. Not in the UK anyway. :scooter:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wonder why no one has made gears out of metal so we can replace them
Not sure, but I think a company in the states do them,Blais Racing,
I’ve just inspected my drive gears 2018 350. They look perfect @40 hours, I’m about to do 60 ish hours in Spain so just wanted to check, I will change these plastic gears every 100 hours, The same time as the 6 clutch damper rubbers are replaced. I’m happy to do that.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure, but I think a company in the states do them,Blais Racing,
I’ve just inspected my drive gears 2018 350. They look perfect @40 hours, I’m about to do 60 ish hours in Spain so just wanted to check, I will change these plastic gears every 100 hours, The same time as the 6 clutch damper rubbers are replaced. I’m happy to do that.
I just watched a vid on dds clutch, rubbers replaced at 10"16s

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue a few months ago on 21 hours, the fuel pump failed and cause some damage. KTM took care of it and now the bike is perfect KTM 2017 350 exc-f

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think there was a bad batch of gears but not 100% sure
Just an update my bike has done 200 hours now so I changed the gear to the new one from ktm not expensive the one that came out was in perfect condition and it was the old part number but I do use motorex oil only and change it every 20 hours must say everything in there looked perfect,checked the valve clearances while I was doing some maintenance they have not changed since new

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Hmm... That's not so good. It should all be sorted if they accept it's an issue. Still, better than the normal response of "not our problem"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts