KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the bottom of the sump are 2 bolts one for gearbox oil an one for engine oil screens, When trying to remove one I managed to round it off, I had to use all my force to try an get it free but it would not shift.
Then the inevitable happened, rounded...

Now I know KTM are renound for the butter bolts but is there anyway I can avoid this in future?
Any tips on removing the little round beggar?

Thank in advance...:)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get new set and be careful not to over tighten them next time.

Gear oil screen and engine oil screen are 20 Nm but I set less on my torque wrench and they newer leak.
Be careful with smaller bolts too; oil filter cover screws are only 10 Nm, gear oil level check one is only 8 Nm!
Yeah I use a torque wrench and the workshop manual. But it was the previous owner who did em last.
I did hear from a bike mechanic that due to the bolt being ally and the sump steel the two expand and contract at diffrent temp thus dragging the sump bolts in.

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
Undo them when the engine is proper hot, lay the bike on its side if you have to so you can see what you are doing.

Put a socket on and give it a couple of solid hard bangs with a hammer before undoing.

Use a good quality 6 sided socket or torx

Smear the threads with copper grease.... the correct torque reading is just enough to nip the O ring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you get it out I have same problem, local KTM dealer are asking about £400 to get it out with the possibility of it costing £800 if case is damaged.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get it out I have same problem, local KTM dealer are asking about £400 to get it out with the possibility of it costing £800 if case is damaged.
Wow :eek: I'd drill it out before paying that. Then re tap it or pay someone to re tap it.

The guy who works on my bike said it'd take him 5 - 10 mins and shouldn't be a problem. He said he'd done a few.

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
I have got plenty out, never had to resort to drilling.

Normally a few good bashes, then tap it round with a dot punch. I had one that was really bad, but TIG welding a bolt onto it got it straight out :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have got plenty out, never had to resort to drilling.

Normally a few good bashes, then tap it round with a dot punch. I had one that was really bad, but TIG welding a bolt onto it got it straight out :)
Yeah as I thought, it's not the end of the world, gonna have a go at it my self today if it doesn't come out I will have it removed Monday by a profeshanimal...

Either way I don't expect to pay over £30/40 squids to see it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts