KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 07 450sxf and currently use motorex 10w50 fully synthetic changing every three hours.
It is working out quite expensive at about £46.00 for four litres.

I have been looking at Q8 10w50 fully synthetic(was used by airwaves ducati bsb team in their bikes)

that is only £30 for four litres which sounds better to me

oil seems the same spec apart from instead of api sg it has api sl (what does that mean?)

thanks

I was thinking if ducati airwaves used it in their superbikes it cant be a bad oil

anybody used it and had any problems before

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Be careful, the Ducati is dry clutch, the Q8 fully synthetic car oil will not hurt it but will a wet clutch. Don't quote me on it but I am pretty sure Airwaves ran Elf race oil.
As Nik Nak says, 15hrs easy from the Motorex fully synthetic unless you kill it in a Dawn til Dusk or similar.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have used Hein Gericke 10w 50 Fully Synthetic oil. Its Motul rebadged If I recall its £29.99 for 4 lt. Works well in my 640 infact im due a change very soon as its been in for about 2000 miles and a trackday

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no airwaves ran q8 oils

the 10w50 is supposed to be compatiable with all wet clutch systems in their motorcycle oil range

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you know better then I stand corrected. Don't always believe what the stickers say on the bikes, and the bottle the team have in the garage though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A 10w50 fully synth car oil will be fine with wet clutches. It's the oils like 5w30 or 10w30 and marked as being energy conserving (or similar) that contain the friction modifiers harmful to wet clutches. I've been using Silkolene (Fuchs) Pro S 10w50 fully synth car oil in a KTM gearbox for years - gear changes perfect and absolutely no clutch slippage.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
And it doesn't have to be Motorex. KTM always "recommended" Shell oils in the past - obviously some sort of sponsorship deal...the handbooks always had the "Shell" logo in them, and there were always Shell stickers in the folder. Now it's Motorex. In the future it could be Ipone, or Motul, or Castrol, or whatever.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ktm recommend 10w50 for my sxf 450 shell doesnt make 10w50 so far as i know. i could be wrong about that but i have searched the web for shell because their 10w40 i used to use in my old rmz was a excellent price for a good oil.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well, how about Motul 5100 4T 10w-50. Used that in my 620. Available from Opie Oils nice and cheap, and if you belong to one of the many forums they list on their web site, or if you join their group, then you get a nice member discount - comes out £25 for 4 litres, and they sometimes do free delivery. Delivery costs are reasonable anyway, especially if you lump it in with some other stuff to spread it out a bit - like chain cleaner, grease, etc etc. Here's the Motul 5100....
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-916-motul-5100-4t-10w-50-high-performance-lubricant-for-bikes-technosynthese-ester.aspx

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the link is. might give that a try quite reasonably priced.

Anyone else used this in a sxf ?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Motul 5100 is a semi synthetic, do your motor a favour and stick to what the manual says, 10w50 or 10w60 Fully Synthetic.
KTM changed to Motorex from Shell because Shell would not work with them on specific oils. When the tender went out the Motorex offer was the third highest in monetary terms, but by far the best in technical terms. That is why KTM went with Motorex, they are prepared to make oils specifically to KTM's specs, such as Cross Power 10w60 for the 690 motors.
Nothing wrong with Shell's products, but they are not suitable for later KTM's.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Shell Advance Ultra 4 is fully synth......as is Silkolene Pro 4 Plus....and Motul 300V..... however, maybe later KTM engines operate on a different sort of internal combustion with different valves and stuff than all the other race engines in the world many others.....and, as Sidecardug says, none of these are suitable for later KTMs and anything other than Motorex will somehow cause engine failure .

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Shell Advance Ultra 4 is fully synth......as is Silkolene Pro 4 Plus....and Motul 300V..... however, maybe later KTM engines operate on a different sort of internal combustion with different valves and stuff than all the other race engines in the world many others.....and, as Sidecardug says, none of these are suitable for later KTMs and anything other than Motorex will somehow cause engine failure .

But you recommended 5100 not 300v, didn't you? And the 690 motor,as I would have thought everyone on here knows DOES use different materials in parts of it than the other motors.
Personally I couldn't give rats arse what oil is used, but duff info to someone who is asking I do take issue with.
All the fully synth oils you have mentioned are no dearer than Motorex, it's the synthetic additives that are the problem, prices have gone through the roof. One anti NOACK additive that is only available from one manufacturer has gone up 300% in two years.
If an oil is cheaper it is almost certainly because it has cheaper, or emits some, additives the dearer ones have.
Why do you think low friction fully synthetic race oil can be £35 per lt?
You pays ya money and takes ya choice.
The Motorex equivalent of 5100 is £21.95 srp for 4lt by the way.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yep, I suggested 5100 - the guy is changing oil every 3 hours. Would one really expect a highly spec'd semi synth to be a problem with 3 hourly oil changes? Just don't see it myself.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes as pedroski says i am changing every three hours so now i m confused now on what to do.

Perhaps i will stick with motorex 10w50.

Or maybe putoline 10w50 fully synthetic(recommended by ktm according to the front of the tub). Thats about £42 for four litres.

Any views on putoline 10w50 fully synthetic?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you use the Motorex you will be able to run 12-15 hours between changes. The Putoline should be about the same.
Thats the whole point of the fully synthetic, it stays in grade for longer and under more stresses. If you work it out it is actually cheaper pro rata than a semi thats half the price, but has to be changed four times as often.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts