KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day I came home on the bike my husband would complain that the bike/garage smelt like burning oil. I smelt something burning but didn't really think it was the smell of burning oil.. just.. something else..

We went on a group ride and oh my god everyone saying "damn that bike smells like burning oil". So ok it smells like burning oil.......

WTF?!

I wish my bike was easier for someone to steal...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
mine smells of burning oil aswell, if it makes you feel any better. dont worry unless you see plumes of smoke coming from it when you switch it off......

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yea and the oil level is fine :shruggs: another bonus from owning a KTM

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine smelt of burning oil after the first sevice, got fed up with it stinking took off the left side bottom panel when it was still hot and found that there was a very slight drip of oil from the drain plug, took it back and made em fix it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is an issue with the oil filler neck leaking. Here in Aus it is a recall item but the replacements are just as bad as the originals. It will slowly get worse and yes it is a fire hazard. My dealer informed me that 2 bikes that he knows of have caught alight. Mine is going in the next day or two. Its all warranty work and get it done ASAP.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Don't blame you. Buy a bike that your tech isn't afraid of working on ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
just what I had, burning smell, slow leak from one of the two drain plugs, dripping straight onto the exhaust and burning off, quiet clever design, you don't get a puddle on the floorr as it's all burnt off ;-) not enough to make the oil level change, just a very slow drip drip drip.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is an issue with the oil filler neck leaking. Here in Aus it is a recall item but the replacements are just as bad as the originals. It will slowly get worse and yes it is a fire hazard. My dealer informed me that 2 bikes that he knows of have caught alight. Mine is going in the next day or two. Its all warranty work and get it done ASAP.
Today I found the same leak from the filler neck is happening on my bike. It's going in for a service soon so I'll get the new parts fitted (even if they are as bad as the originals).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts