KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anyone wanna buy a black Superduke with an SDR seat... (actually, it may already be spoken for)...

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes I have.... AWESOME...

Ok, I've had a few, er ... issues ... trying to justify chopping my lovely and super-sorted SD in for an SDR, and every sane argument said there was no point...

...until this little beauty turned up on EvilBay.

Originally supplied by the KTM Centre in Hemel by Mark and Jason to a well paid dentist, this lovely little bike had £13,000 of receipts, and not only has Full Akra, PCIII and the usual trimmings, it also has a Motohooligan Airbox from the US, and it is a beast indeed. Handling is very familiar, although the steering damper made it seem a little less loose filtering in town (not an issue tho), but boy oh boy, the midrange, the induction roar, and the legs... where my old SD ran out of puff, it just charges on for another 15 or so bhp and who knows how much torque, and there really is no need to downchange as much.

Sharper turn-in is slightly masked by squared-off Pirelli Diablos - which need to be ditched asap - plus he's fitted bar risers and heated grips (FFS), so throttle is fatter and riding position is more upright with less weight over the front... But riding elbows-up like a motorcrosser (or Spies on full chat) the bike corners on rails. ...Like the SD - but more so.

It's only done 3000 dry miles, in a straight line as far as I can tell. Tyres were profiled like a car. A fair bit of carbon, but not too much bling to look rude.

Just needs a tail tidy, subtle indies and my old slipper clutch, and I'll have put my SD mileage back about 7000 miles and had a serious upgrade and facelift for a very reasonable top-up.

SUPERB.

My old bike is now at the KTM Centre in Hemel for £6k. :D

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Welcome to the club :smokin:

Now get your shit and leave :rolleyes::D

Congrats on the new purchase! I rode an SDR the other weeks found the suspension a bit too hard, would be great on track mind.
Risers and grips will be gone by next weekend. :eek:

And as for the ride, the great thing about all Superdukes is how adjustable the suspension is. The SDR has a soft "comfort" set-up, just like SD... :D (Not that I'll be needing it much) ...and a re-padded seat is forgettably comfy.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Nice one dutch, now all you need to do is book Cadders on the 19th + 20th July and strut your stuff with the other 12 hooligans booked up..........;)

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may just do that... although I will wait for weather report. My last Schlep Oooop North to Cadders involved a lot of watching the few nutters who went out in heavy heavy rain... Expensive and annoying.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you quote aprillia forum when booking you get 10% off too as they are all off so going to be some large scale tuon/SD battles, think it will book up sooner rather than later so by the time you get an accurate forecast I reckon it will be booked up, hope you can make it however.

·
Registered
669 Posts
so as far as the 2 bikes being simular(as some people say) with a little more "crap throttle" how do you compare the 2? from what you posted already they are very different?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Anyone wanna buy a black Superduke with an SDR seat... (actually, it may already be spoken for)...
It's the mutts dude! The inductuion roar from setting off at the lights was impressive. Essex next time after you get some new rubber!

BTW Everyone............. HE'S GO HEATED GRIPS!!!!!!!!!:eek::D:D:D

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you quote aprillia forum when booking you get 10% off too as they are all off so going to be some large scale tuon/SD battles, think it will book up sooner rather than later so by the time you get an accurate forecast I reckon it will be booked up, hope you can make it however.
Dutch I may be able to transfer my booking to you if you are going to wait till nearer the date for Cadwell.
Cheers Dan & Pete. I'll check my diary. The SDR def needs some track time. I'm not sure it's ever been ridden in anger before.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone! I want it!
It has your name on it fella. :D

It's the mutts dude! The inductuion roar from setting off at the lights was impressive. Essex next time after you get some new rubber!

BTW Everyone............. HE'S GO HEATED GRIPS!!!!!!!!!:eek::D:D:D
Thanks Bro. Like we discussed earlier - they're yours as soon as you want them. ;) ... They'll go with that topbox you've just ordered from BMW.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
so as far as the 2 bikes being simular(as some people say) with a little more "crap throttle" how do you compare the 2? from what you posted already they are very different?
I'm not sure where to begin. It's definitely a familiar ride, but there's just a bit more of everything on this one. The engine is the biggest difference, with significantly more midrange and outright pwoer right from tickover. Where I'd usually change down to charge ahead on the SD, on the SDR I just leave it in gear and twist, but more than that, it feels more raw and less refined - but a lot of this has to be the motohooligan airbox combined with Akra and retune, on top of the larger butterflies and throttle bodies in the R's injectors. ... It's been ages since I rode a standard R, but I do remeber thinking a standard SDR wasn't all that different to my tuned SD. This suped-up bike really is a step up tho.

As for handling, it's kinda the same, but I'm an inch higher at the back, and with the steering damper it all feels a bit tighter and firmer, and although turn-in is fast, it needs positive countersteer to muscle into the turns. However, this also makes it feel more stable. I might have to fiddle with the damper too as maybe it just needs backing off. The shyte tyres did make it feel a bit lumpy, so I'll have a better idea when it's god some decent new rubber.

Overall, it's like the SD took some steroids and went to the gym - so it's the same, but pumped-up and very moody - which kinda suits the orange frame, and black powdercoated chassis parts

1 - 20 of 29 Posts