KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think ive been here before!! the other year i needed to chop a tree down, i need a chainsaw my m8t said get a stihl, their the best. got the catalogue and WOW. engine variants, chain width variants, bar length variants, and then you get light duty heavy duty and industrial, must be the best part of a few dozen to choose from. after weeks of studying and qualifying for mastermind (subject stihl chainsaws) i took the plunge and was very happy. now i fancy greenlaning with another pal of mine, he says get a ktm,their the best, hello not this again everythings orange, everythings got a great reason to buy it, but theres just to much choice. why is this ????

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
so much choice because they all slot into race categories one way or another. for green laning some folk will say an exc is a bit too much others would happily green lane what is in essence and enduro race bike. depends what you fancy, 2t range includes 125,200,250,300. a second hand 200 in decent nick (ie worth owning) will be around £2k. good all round off road bike IMO (though to be fair some hate them some love them). 250/300 are serious bikes with a lot of power. 4t's start are 250,400,450,525+ the 250 can be a bit 'maintenance hungry (depending on its year) 400 is fairly and squarely aimed at green lane enthusiasts. 450/525+ are definite enduro race bikes though dont get me wrong, they are both very capable green lane bikes too. A decent 4t 400 seems to sell from £2700. 450 a bit less but condition is everything.

additionally, the 690 enduro looks like a great all round bike, not ridden one myself but they look very good, and of course being fairly new, very expensive!!

hope this helps, just my opinions and nothing more but I would look at the 200exc and the 400exc...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stihl MS880 with a 48 inch bar, 3/8 404 micro chisel ripping chain... The mother of all chainsaws LOL.

Lucky you got your chainsaw last year. Stihl's policy has changed so you can't buy one now without a personel hand over and demo from your local dealer. Then once you've bought one we'll (| F R Jones and Son Home page || Discount Chainsaw Chains) post you any Stihl product.

As for the orange bikes, mine's a 640 LC4 and again seems to be a pretty capable all rounder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats you experience on a bike?
hi had a bit of off road experience through my teens yz125 kx250 up till about 18 years ago. then big void. im a mid lifer looking to greenlane in the lakes, think my minds half set on a 400exc, would you say theres a big feeling of extra weight between the 400exc compared to a 2t 200/250?? thanks again for all replys

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just to put you in the visual picture, 43yrs old 18 stone 40 waist, 20 a day!! (feels like im looking for a date)!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can i ride in slippers!!

need some boots for outing on wednesday, im in lancashire any decent shops??? been to poa didnt have my size.:confused:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
You'll notice the harder hitting power band of the 2T more than the extra weight of the 4T :D

A 250-f doesn't feel much less powerful than a 400 TBH, its the fact that you have to rev them a bit harder that increases the maintenance.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
a 250/2t and the 300/2t feel like you are being punched in the chest sometimes!! I personally found the 250/4t a little bit wheezy (but thats just my feeling after getting off a 450). The 400 is by no means a heavy bike but a 200/2t feels like a 125 to handle. A 200 with a flywheel weight rides nicely for a 2t but don't think it would be so 'friendly' for trails as a 400

1 - 10 of 10 Posts