KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the trigger is about to be pulled on a KTM690 SMC it would seem that the last few weeks the prices have dropped on used white 2010 models and they are going for 5k BUT i prefer the orange 2009 model i think and these prices are still around the same 5k.

My only issue with Orange is if i use the bike all year round will the plastics start to fade over time. If they do fade i will get a white one.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
The only plastics I have ever seen fade were Yamaha yz/yzf ones. Dont think you will have a problem, in fact know you wont, look at my bike I'm selling, its 5 years old and the colour is still fresh. Buy a white one and get a 2nd set of plastics, they are not too pricey really! Plastics and graphics

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ben,

It would be cool to get some custom designed stickers for the plastics i have talked to Crispy about this. Is the best place to buy the original panels from a KTM dealer, i could get a white bike and keep it standard and then buy a set of plastics and stickers when i fancy a change.

·
Registered
340 Posts
try son of a gun, i use it all the time, just put loads on a cloth and go over your plastics 3 or 4 times, leave about an hour or so between coats, the last will dry in overnight, dont worry about any smears as they mostly dry in and and remaining just wipe of with a clean cloth, it seems to go into the plastics and deepen the colour, i done it on a mates bike, he was pretty amazed at the outcome, tbh so was i because we removed the sticker on the rear fender that had been there for 3/4 years (imagine the colour difference there, his bike was orange, you can barely notice it now) i swear by the stuff been using it from i was a teen, most of the new stuff is shite!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, ta! I will do a google search on it.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
As someone who actually owns a 690 SMCommuter that is orange and is kept in a darkened garage when not in use - some real life feedback.

Riding around Northern Britain, which is not renowned for high levels of sunshine and usually suffers from lots of grey clouds to shield us from harmful UV light, KTM's orange plastics do fade rather quicker than I would have expected.

I think the phrase 'fugitive colours' comes to mind. Interestingly the olde worlde models (625/640/660) in museums and scrapyards display exactly the same abilities to fade rather quickly - however replacement panels were so cheap it wasn't too painful to replace them every few years.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Is it next to the sunbed though resti??!!! Just buy an exc then and be done! never seen faded exc/sx....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ok, the trigger is about to be pulled on a KTM690 SMC it would seem that the last few weeks the prices have dropped on used white 2010 models and they are going for 5k BUT i prefer the orange 2009 model i think and these prices are still around the same 5k...
Go for 2010 model and then change to orange.
New speedometer, tubeless wheels, service schedule in 2010 models has been increased to 4,5k miles.
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/56449-ktm-690-smc-2009-v-2010-model.html

·
Registered
854 Posts
Go fir the white one.... Like DRB said it's got the new clocks that don't mist up and the new tubeless rims (which will save you a few quid on tyre changes as you won't have to buy a tube too)
And the service intervals are further apart too
Plus the white one looks better imho, and is a year newer and will have a higher residual value compared to the 09 when you come to sell it

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt know they had tubeless tyres now, thats always a plus if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, you can just plug it an carry on.

·
Registered
854 Posts
true dat fella!! how's your decision swaying now.... 09orange or 10white??

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
10 white, its a no brainer now :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
good choice!!:scooter:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts