KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..it appears to be no more than a glorified oil change to me (accepting you've got to take half the bike apart to do it) ?

What's the considered opinion of the forum on this one ?

Cheers

1050rat

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Diy

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
And it feels great that youve done it yourself , saved a few quid , and its been done right . You will also learn about what you ride etc

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go DIY

Once you taken your bike apart once. The second time is piss easy!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Ok I Hear Ya....

Well a pretty resounding go for it from all and sundry !

I only have one hesitation and that is getting the tank off having previously failed to disconnect the gubbins on inside of fuel tank - the pickup cable ? (white connector block thingy) and failing to understand how one hose came off which looked like it was bolted to the side of the fuel tank - all this whilst trying to balance a half tank of fuel on my knee...mmmmm

Cheers
1050rat

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
First of all try not to do it with full tanks.......keep a small terminal screwdriver at arms length so you can push the small locking tab of the low fuel light terminal block.. in.. to release it and rest the tank on the foot peg ..........first time you try all this an assistant at hand might not be a bad idea

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
You can balance the back end of the tank on the foot peg , put your right arm under the tank near the front and let the tank lie against your shoulder and it leaves you both hands free to disconnect all connections at the back of the tank . Well thats how i do it . Don't forget to turn off both fuel taps , one on each tank and disconnect the breathers . Have you read through the step by step of how to change the oil on advrider ???

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
I did mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago with the help of the how-to on ADVrider which one of the lads here pointed me to, took me an evening basically and I spent a lot of time cleaning stuff while it was apart :)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
If you've got crash bars fitted be careful refitting as there is an electrical cable going down the back of the frame feeding the rear lambor sensor where the crash bar clamps the frame , it's very easy to nip it .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts