KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon

Currently sat at a services in north Germany with a rather hot 690 smr.

bike has run fine from Rotterdam until Hamburg when itseemed to lose power and get a bit hot, temp bars hit full a few times so kept having to stop and let it cool down, heard fan on when I stopped too.

got going again and open motorway it doesn’t seem to want to drop to normal operating temp (about mid bars usually and it sat two from top) also feels down on power. It hasn’t spat coolant out and the overflow bottle level hasn’t changed.

Thoughts are possibly thermostat? Or water pump? Any other ideas would be appreciated 👍🏻

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any issues with just taking it right out? Other than letting it warm up properly

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You can a run vehicle without a thermostat, but you shouldn't do it for long periods. You can at least test the thermostat though. Should be vids on youtube showing how to test it. Easy enough..

·
Registered
63 Posts
From memory this won’t be quite so straight forward as the thermostat cover doesn’t have a gasket but instead is sealed by a u shaped seal which sits on the perimeter of the thermostat itself. Happy to be corrected on this as I can’t check right now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m now doubting it’s the thermostat. When I do a nice long run, no traffic, temp sits perfectly in the middle.

hit traffic and temp starts to climb, think the fan kicks in high up the temp range on these so may just put a manual fan switch in as it seems to go past the point where the fan can really help

the other weird thing is I lose the clutch when it does this. Zero pressure. Not from slipping the clutch just from engine heat, had it on a 450 exc in sand too when the engine got hot the clutch would just disappear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts