KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi dudes,

Now when I´m almost sorted with Headster´s killer graphics for my SMC (pics will come when ready...), I wanted to do some detail stuff meanwhile by painting those exhaust shields black:

Will normal black rattle can paint do the trick and will it last? Need to prepare the parts somehow, but just clean them? Is primer essential?

Sorry if this has been asked - I tried to find stuff with no success

·
Registered
681 Posts
powder coat is the best way as it can withstand the heat can will not do.
Do it properly

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I used Rattle Cans, First i rubbed them lightly over with P800 Wet +Dry, then primed with Etch Primer, then finished with Satin Black, and they stayed unmarked till i sold the bike a year later

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate your input, thanks. Maybe I then just get it powdercoated... however Siper your SMC looks fookin awesome!!!

Here´s few photos for you Radziol (but I must ensure you, it´ll look a lot better with Headster graphics later on):

EDIT: actually, found 2 newer pics, where all black plastics arrived

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i painted mine over 2 years ago

still look fine

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't even bother to prime mine, I used satin-black engine enamel (for the heat, although I don't think they even get hot enough to warrant it).

I took the guards off, washed them, degreased them, carded them with some wet and dry paper, degreased again and gave them several coats over the course of a day. I did this two years ago and I only had to retouch them when I spilled fuel everywhere :censored:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts