KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was parked on a No-stopping road in Cambridge, but I was fully on the pavement, so I thought it was fine. But when I came back I was greeted by a PCN stuck to my bike for £70 for;

Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours.

I was parked just behind the bicycles, leaving plenty of room for pedestrians.

I have done a bit of research and found this in the highway code;

“You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it.”

I'm not in London so although I 'shouldn't' do it it is not expressly forbidden. Should I appeal it then?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
ask some one who may know the answer................

maybe a traffic warden

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the same. Tracked down the traffic warden as the restriction was newly emplaced. She told me to appeal the ticket in writing and, as it was my first parking ticket it may be rescinded. I did, and it wasn't. Appeal anyway as every council is different, and it won't affect your 14 day quick payment discount as that is put on fold whilst you appeal. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have a picture of a speed camera van parked on the pavement in Nottingham. I sent these to the police force as I thought it was illegal to park on the pavement I got a reply saying it was not as long as you do not obstruct the pavement for pedestrians.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would dispute it. The Highway Code is unclear with their use of 'must' and 'should'. With regard to cycles they say you SHOULD wear a helmet, but you don't get done if you don't, it is a recommendation. Why can't they just say you must not park on the pavement unless signs say you can? Nowt to lose, appeal it, but expect to lose. Ask them to explain the must/should not distinction.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
A few years ago we needed to do some work to a high gutter in a pedestrian street in Maidstone that had vehicle acces only up to 11.00am.

We asked for dispensation for a cherry picker to be there all day but they said they had no powers but we would only get one £50 ticket so that's the worst cost we would have.
In the end, they ignored us anyway but what a stupid set up.

·
Premium Member
7,551 Posts
I would dispute it. The Highway Code is unclear with their use of 'must' and 'should'. With regard to cycles they say you SHOULD wear a helmet, but you don't get done if you don't, it is a recommendation. Why can't they just say you must not park on the pavement unless signs say you can? Nowt to lose, appeal it, but expect to lose. Ask them to explain the must/should not distinction.
+1

The reason you got a ticket...cos you're traceable...push bikes not. I'll park my bike and lock against push bike railings...

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
See if you had parked right up close to the brown window building at the back, in the cove of the window bay (makes it sound like a beach! :) ), you would be ok, as this is not pavement, but the building footprint, and the owners of the building would have to do something (unlikely as the windows are taped over).
In London anyway, generally you can park your bike on the lead-light type glass blocks that form the basement skylight of buildings - as this is not the footpath, but off it. Sorry for that description, I don't know what it's called, only that you can park there as long as the building owner does not take action!

I would appeal, saying you parked your motor-cycle in a cycle rack, as the argument.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Going back about 30 years I got one for parking on the pavement and was told that the yellow lines apply from the kerb to the building front.

Bill

·
Administrator
8,496 Posts
If it was as easy as that then every one would do it?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Going back about 30 years I got one for parking on the pavement and was told that the yellow lines apply from the kerb to the building front.

Bill
The council will usually have info about parking.
Most will state exactly this.
That a double yellow applies from the centre of the road up to and including any pavement, grass verge or hardstandings.
Lad i know has just been done for exactly the same thing.

Some traffic wardens are ok with it if your well out the way.
Most are true to form and will gladly nail you.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
My mrs got a FPN recently parked on the grass verge outside our house, there are no yellow lines on the road and the verge is 15' wide , the footpath runs alongside it, and then there is another 7' grass verge before the kerb line. We had a load of builders working on the house and she couldn't get on the drive so rather than obstruct a busy A road she parked where she did. Several appeals later and we ended up paying the fine. My argument was as there are no parking restrictions in place on the road ,and no signage expressly prohibiting parking on the verge ,no offence had been committed. Mr adybaoo from the council disagreed. no doubt it was his cousin Mr Motoombe earning his bonus on his fucking moped who issued the ticket.
Cunts should be driving donkeys with sticks .

in other news , I often appeal parking infringements my lads pickup in the vans and my success rate is about 75%. Have a go ,you never know your luck.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Bill
Exactly,it's never been any different,parking on the pavement is trying to beat the system and it the only way it'll work is when you don't get nicked!!!.

It was a dumb idea dude,stop squealing and move on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts