KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am struggling to get a very rusty PDS bearing out of my EXC -F 250 swing arm. I have tried punching it out but it will not budge. I will need to remove the swing arm and push it out with a 10 ton press at work unless someone knows of a trick to this. The whols assy is corroded together. Boooo

Any help greatfully recieved.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
You need to heat up the swingarm around the bearing. It is not located by a circlip or ledge inside, so get the swingarm hot then knock the assembly out with a big drift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you for getting back. I have seen a puller that should do the job. It is on this forum somewhere. I will make one up and give it a try. The problem / concern with heating the swing arm is the that it may weaken the lug where the PDS bearing fits. I'll try the puller.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I managed it the girly way, with a hairdryer, socket to use as a punch, and a rubber mallet. Hitting it like a girl with hammer hahaha

yes, I did use a hairdryer!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I managed it the girly way, with a hairdryer, socket to use as a punch, and a rubber mallet. Hitting it like a girl with hammer hahaha

yes, I did use a hairdryer!
Before I got to myself a heat gun I had used the hairdryer as well so as to get the forks apart :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Heating the area will not cause any damage. Not heating it may though. ;):)
Depends on how much you heat it, obviously.

When we were doing the bearings on my old XR engine we only had a gas torch handy. I was a bit paranoid about overdoing it, but was advised to spit on the area I was heating - if the spit bubbles and starts to boil, it's hot enough. Not quite sure of the science behind it, as presumably spit boils somewhere near 100C and ally melts at 660C - but it was always enough to get the bearings moving easily, and didn't cause any damage.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
More stress is caused by not heating as the tight tolerances will make the task more brutal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All, Thanks for all the replies.

It is done and it was not a quick job. I tried my puller and managed to strip an M10 threaded length of studding. In the end I got out the gas bottle and nozzle and warmed the swing arm boss up. Even then it needded some very heavy hits with a hammer. The old pivot bearing was completely rusted and the end caps and seals were rust welded to the main bearing.

The area in the swing arm was 'cleaned' and deburred and the new bearing was inserted/pushed into place.

What a pain of a job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next job is too replace the throttle cables, Front pads and sort out the chain and sprockets.

This bike has not been looked after but with a little TLC it will be back to being as good as new soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts