KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this something that should be replaced as a matter of urgency? I've got a bit of play in mine... Is it an easy job?

thanks guys

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi. I've just replaced mine as it was squeaking a lot. It was a bit tough bu if you are use to removing and installing bearings you will be fine. I'm fairly novice at maintainence stuff. I think the worse that will happen is the bearing will wear through the housing and into the swingarm, which I fairly soft as I found out when installing my new seals!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ok to get some more life out of the bearing remove the bolt. Remove the seal-1 side only and with a pair of pliers turn the inner of the bearing round 45 degrees (the bit that the bolt goes through). This should tighten up the bearing as the wear normally only occurs on the top and bottom of it.

Works for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i found it to be a pain in the arse to be truthful but if its got to be done what can you do , i have however read on here before a tip about puttin bearings in a freezer before puttin them in as it makes em that bit easier to fit , also dont do it with the arm still on the bike take it off and get it on a bench , will make it a hell of alot easier

·
Registered
987 Posts
Once you have worked out the tooling its easy :smokin:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have a play in my swing arm, when jacked up on the stand I can lift the swing arm about 15mm before the shock kicks in.

No sideways play at all, does this need changing?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a play in my swing arm, when jacked up on the stand I can lift the swing arm about 15mm before the shock kicks in.

No sideways play at all, does this need changing?
yep, time to replace that little sucker :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
15mm:eek: Where is the movement? on the shock i hope & not the pivot bearings.
I took the measurement (roughly) from the rear wheel at the end of the swing arm, so the play is very little by the time you get to the pivot point. So little in fact I can't be sure if it's the shock or the swing arm???

·
Registered
987 Posts
shouldnt be any free play mate :eek: get it done is my advice, its a nice little job to do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
which one.....

get someone to lift the back wheel, if you watch the pds bearing spot, and there is no movement there, try the s/a bearings, if you have 15mm movement, it sounds like the full hit - change the lot !!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Well I guess my next question would be which bearing is likely to be? The swing arm or shock?
if you get it up on a jack stand, and stand on the right hand side of the bike, you will be able to let the swing arm and see what bit is moving :cool: I mostly read of the lower bearing going and mine was shot, but top was still solid.

·
Registered
987 Posts
All done, no more play....
:D
Thanks!
nice one mate, you should notice a better delivery of traction too :rolleyes: I was amazed how tighter mine felt. Im going to invest in the neoprene bearing cover, Might help as we are usually tank deep in water :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
nice one mate, you should notice a better delivery of traction too :rolleyes: I was amazed how tighter mine felt. Im going to invest in the neoprene bearing cover, Might help as we are usually tank deep in water :)
i wouldn't bother buying the neoprene cover just cut an old bmx innertube section and fit that it works a treat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts