KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going up to North Wales to get myself a 950SM on Sunday. I feel like a kid at Christmas, i cannot wait.

Gotta ride it back, about 220miles. Any tips or anything i should be aware off for my first ride.

Not too worried about the power as it isnt quite as powerful as my old Gixxer 750 but it will be the first time i have ridden it and i hear they can be fiesty feckers.

Cheers

:)

P.s pics soon

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Going up to North Wales to get myself a 950SM on Sunday.... . Any tips or anything i should be aware off for my first ride.
Always remember that the biggest crime you can commit aganst mankind in North Wales is slightly exceeding the speed limit.

Tourists are viewed as an asset class to be sweated and milked at every opportunity .............. and Colwyn Bay is a dump usually populated by not very bright people from Liverpool.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just make sure you have got roadside assist cos if its like the ktm piece of shit ive just got rid of you will need it, (Fu***ng engine rebuilds at 6k) my personal oppinion is dont sell the gixer cos you will need it for some fun when the austrian pedal and pop (pop being the word) is in for engine repairs and dont let anyone fool you cos it will be!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just make sure you have got roadside assist cos if its like the ktm piece of shit ive just got rid of you will need it, (Fu***ng engine rebuilds at 6k) my personal oppinion is dont sell the gixer cos you will need it for some fun when the austrian pedal and pop (pop being the word) is in for engine repairs and dont let anyone fool you cos it will be!!!
Thats the same milage my gixer thou went bang, but then every manufacture has tails of woe (although it does piss you off on a track day).But keep up the service and maintenance and it will keep you grinning......enjoy it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spoke to the guy, he siad the previous owner changed it as it looked better, which i have to agree with.

He has had it 2 years and had no probs and he definetly does not seem like he is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I cant see why you'd go to the expense of changing the plastic cos you thought it was an improvement when it looks mis-matched. As a precaution I'd make sure it passes an H.P.I. It could raise problems should you want to re-sell later on.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Ditto i would HPI to be safe. Also a useful tip if you have never had one......When you put fuel in it, the fuel light stays on for a while.......dont go back for more fuel :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
i have a work phone so that txt check is the quickest for me. Think its £3.50.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
spoke to the guy, he siad the previous owner changed it as it looked better, which i have to agree with.

He has had it 2 years and had no probs and he definetly does not seem like he is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont buy that explaination. Look everywhere for signs of crash damage.

Ask him has he still got the original tailpiece.

·
Registered
125 Posts
having owned and sold several catc damaged repairables i have no problem in buying another,so long has i know exactly whats wrong,no foookers trying to pull the wool over my eyes and of course the price is right.theres nothin to gain replacing the tailpiece on a 950sm with another that does,nt even match,very strange:confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
HPI it straight away. Should be the first thing you do when buying any used bike.

Check the rear subframe carefully for damage..has it been rear ended?

Check the clutch works..mine is a similar age & has just packed up..Oberon slave cyl on order.

Being really picky, the tax disc holder is on the wrong side, law says near side front.

Really hope this is all scaremongering and the bike is fine. Look after it and it will give you many hours of fun.

Enjoy.

Chers,

Phil.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hpi checked it. All is fine. Only thing is he said he is the 2nd owner yet according to Dvla he is the first owner???? That's a bit weird. Sure the v5 will let me know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you done the right thing mej checking the bike out,you never know theres that many scams,con artists out there,good on yer,have a safe ride home and hope you enjoy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts