KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after lookin how tatty my engine casings were becoming i decided on polishing them up rather than painting them ive made a start using various wire brush fittings in my drill and there startin to take shape, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the best method to get them to the finished article . thanks in advance .

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will do , if i can figure out how to do it, im not what you would call computer friendly , lmao

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Trouble is they are magnesium and go dull really quick.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i done the frame rocker and side cases on my old gixer,damn well wish i didn't it was an absolute bitch to keep mirrored.
but to get the best finish get a kit on ebay that works off a normal hand drill it comes with all the soap compounds aswell.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Swingarm looks dull... thats the trouble, where do you stop!

I know a forum member who had his swingarm professionally polished, but he thought it looked too bling so he rubbed it dull with a scotchbrite pad!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
i think i can add to this................. ive done this before............... it lasted 2 outings!!!!! you really have to keep on top of things and the nooks are so hard to get to once the cases are together, however there is a very, very good alternative which ive used.
a few months ago a was building my first chopper/bobber and wanted to rechrome the spokes and get the rims done. the price was ridiculous.

a friend of mine runs a powdercoating shop. he told me they now do chrome powdercoating. the wheels came out so good i had all the engine cases done, yokes etc....
a set of wheels were only £90. i know you polishing them is pretty much free but the the finish will last alot longer the powdercoating way

·
Registered
151 Posts
swingarm looks dull... Thats the trouble, where do you stop!

I know a forum member who had his swingarm professionally polished, but he thought it looked too bling so he rubbed it dull with a scotchbrite pad!!
true i left it out,GOT WISE AFTER DOING THE REST..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've done my wheels, swingarm, rad, cap rear shock, kick start rear brake lever and gear selector makes an old snotter look better lol
Oh and the complete exhaust..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Can you anodise mag??,I suppose you must be able to because that's the finsh on a new un !??:scooter:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts