KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around for info and came across this forum......looks a useful place to hang around occasionally :D

Got the itch for a new bike, you know the one!!.........and am lucky enough to have some spare cash in hand (and unlucky at the same time - it's compensation money after a big crash nearly 4 years back! :frown: )
Currently own a 2005 R1200GS (a little modded with Ohlins suspension, full Remus system, K&N, PCIII and a few other 'tasteful' mods ;-) .........love the bike but hanker after a V twin again (previously owned an SV1000). The GS will be a hard act to follow as far as comfort, handling and general all round ability/usability go but I think the 990 SMT might be the one (test ride tomorrow if all goes well). Not a lot of choice of bikes for me, the replacement for the GS has to be a "sitty uppy" due to various knackered body parts (ooo errr missus!) but not too 'sit up and beg'.....I changed the bars on the GS to lower straighter bars and added a low seat to give a slightly aggressive riding stance (weight over/lean into the bars). Again the 990SMT looks the part and I've read good reviews so now looking for some real life feedback and advice! ;)

First question, I can save some dosh and get a new unregistered 2009 bike or go for the 2010 model.....sales guy (Fowlers Bristol :rolleyes: ) said the only change from the 2009 bike to the 2010 one was the clocks/instrument panel? That the case?

Next question, as I'm kinda treating myself I've been having a good look at KTM's accessory ("power parts) list here...........any recommendations for must have or don't bother? The following caught my eye :)
# Front and rear sliders (bobbin sets)
# Akrapovic cans (anyone enlighten me as to what's the difference between the options shown?)
# Evolution Headers 950/990 (aha......only match the Evolution cans)
# Side Bags SM-T (look like semi hard luggage!........direct fit to the mounts standard on the SMT?)
# Centre stand (yeah or neah?)
# Engine protection (belly pan)

Any recommendations for an aftermarket hugger, something a bit bigger than the KTM offering that might actually give some protection?..........and front fender extender?

Any advice offered, links to more info etc will be appreciated..........sorry for the ling first post but I'm sure I'll now get tons of really helpful advice and tips :D

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
855 Posts
Fowlers offered me a good deal on my part ex when I purchased my SMT but James at AMS (just off M5 J9 Tewkesbuury)bettered it,and I was happpier giving a smaller dealer like AMS my money especially as Fowlers has such a shit reputation.I managed to get free heated grips and first service and free fitting and some money of the Akros and carbon front mudguard.They also fitted a Meta 357T V2 alarm .The luggage isn't waterproof and not very big and an odd shape .Skidmarx do a decent size hugger.I went for the tank protection bars aswell.You can get 10% off powerparts with AMS aswell.Give James aring on 01684 292929

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.......I don't know if the poor Fowlers reputation still holds true? but I'm of an age that I remember how crap they were in years gone by!! - I'd prefer to go to a small dealer but Tewkesbury is a 154 mile round trip for me which is too much of a pain for servicing etc. Thanks for the suggestion though, if I go ahead and buy I may still be able to play Fowlers a bit more on the price :)
Luggage not waterproof, what use is that in the UK?!.......can't see any inner bags/liners :confused:

Skidmarx...on browsing round earlier I found mention here of their hugger and belly pan but their website is crap, no mention there that I could find and nobody's posted up pics here on the forum that I could find.........anybody? ;)

............and thanks for mentioning heated grips!!!!!!!!!....how'd I forget?!!!!

Anybody else any comments?..........please :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
Been looking around for info and came across this forum......looks a useful place to hang around occasionally :D

Got the itch for a new bike, you know the one!!.........and am lucky enough to have some spare cash in hand (and unlucky at the same time - it's compensation money after a big crash nearly 4 years back! :frown: )
Currently own a 2005 R1200GS (a little modded with Ohlins suspension, full Remus system, K&N, PCIII and a few other 'tasteful' mods ;-) .........love the bike but hanker after a V twin again (previously owned an SV1000). The GS will be a hard act to follow as far as comfort, handling and general all round ability/usability go but I think the 990 SMT might be the one (test ride tomorrow if all goes well). Not a lot of choice of bikes for me, the replacement for the GS has to be a "sitty uppy" due to various knackered body parts (ooo errr missus!) but not too 'sit up and beg'.....I changed the bars on the GS to lower straighter bars and added a low seat to give a slightly aggressive riding stance (weight over/lean into the bars). Again the 990SMT looks the part and I've read good reviews so now looking for some real life feedback and advice! ;)

First question, I can save some dosh and get a new unregistered 2009 bike or go for the 2010 model.....sales guy (Fowlers Bristol :rolleyes: ) said the only change from the 2009 bike to the 2010 one was the clocks/instrument panel? That the case?

Next question, as I'm kinda treating myself I've been having a good look at KTM's accessory ("power parts) list here...........any recommendations for must have or don't bother? The following caught my eye :)
# Front and rear sliders (bobbin sets)
# Akrapovic cans (anyone enlighten me as to what's the difference between the options shown?)
# Evolution Headers 950/990 (aha......only match the Evolution cans)
# Side Bags SM-T (look like semi hard luggage!........direct fit to the mounts standard on the SMT?)
# Centre stand (yeah or neah?)
# Engine protection (belly pan)

Any recommendations for an aftermarket hugger, something a bit bigger than the KTM offering that might actually give some protection?..........and front fender extender?

Any advice offered, links to more info etc will be appreciated..........sorry for the ling first post but I'm sure I'll now get tons of really helpful advice and tips :D

Cheers
Andy
Good choice Andy...:D

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of the KTM 990sm based bikes, they are all brilliant...;)

As for your questions.....a lot of the answers will reveal themselves on the test ride (you will have a ball)

Updates for 2010 as far as I know IS just the clocks (older ones can sometimes steam up)
The SMT comes with luggage but it is a bit pants IMHO...small, non waterproof and a funny shape :frown:

I would push to get axle slider included in the sale if poss :rolleyes:
Exhaust....Akra is the best and approved by KTM but you PAY BIG for it...Titanium headers and evo can's are the ultimate (for 2 large :eek:) other cans are available, just do a search on here.....there are loads...;)
Centre stand.....I personally wouldn't bother
Belly pan....looks pretty good, not essential but nice :D

Other considerations I would look at......

Top box... I find it very useful to chuck stuff into for work, trips, etc.
16 tooth front sprocket is added by lots of people and makes the gearing feel more 'natural'
Heated grips if you find you need them (depends when you ride)
Frame guards...Not expensive so you could poss get them chucked in with the deal with your axle bobbins ;)
I just fitted a KTM specific scottoiler and it works VERY well mounted to the front sprocket ;)
Rear hugger & Fenda extenda (Superduke items fit perfectly)

Cans of some sort are (again IMHO) a MUST....save 9kg of weight and release that loverly noise....:D

OH....and of course a bigger helmet to house the rediculous grin you will have whenever you ride it....:D

HTH, Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave, more useful info/tips/advice there, appreciated........hadn't picked up on the sprocket change, have to see how I find the bike.

Fowlers live up to their reputation of old!!! :mad:
Yesterday........
~ no SMT in the showroom (second floor) as the bike lift is bust so their stock is still in crates
~ demo bike out on loan all day to someone who's bike's in for a service!
Today.......demo ride called off as their demo bike is showing an FI fault, won't be able to get it in their workshop until Friday!!
Guess they don't want my money :wanker:

..........You can get 10% off powerparts with AMS aswell.Give James aring on 01684 292929
I'll be trying AMS afterall

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its a perfectly capable replacement for a GS, bars are not so wide apart either making you less like a gorilla on a bike. Much more responsive handling, in the normal sense that is. I realise a GS can be hustled about nicely but I never felt that front end gave the sort of feedback I'd like. Don't expect GS-like economy though, total tank range is about 160 miles on the best of days. Edit: dunno about people getting 150 to the light? I got that when I was running it in, now I'm lucky to see 115 to the light :)

Someone mentioned a link recently to some sort of deal on the 2010 bikes where you get to add all sorts of extras like the luggage and centre stand for 1 euro or something, might be worth looking into.

The luggage is great, but pretty small. They are not waterproof but they do come with pre-shaped waterproof inners which work 100%. Mine endured all 440miles to Edinburgh in the lashing rain and nothing got wet inside. Sliders are handy, centrestand not so useful especially if you fit a scottoilerto look after the chain, belly pan dunno (jury is out on that one) Akra's are awesome but to be honest I never felt I gained much out of them other than the sound and of course the weight saving, but dont expect a massive performance boost or anything. What a sound though :)
Best money I spent on my SMT was a suspension setup at MCT in Stowupland. Essential.

Do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have a look at the Luggage thread before you decide what to get. Personally the tiny, expensive semi-rigid bags would be my last choice.
Also there is a Skidmarx hugger thread around here somewhere.

·
Registered
282 Posts
KTM specific scottoiler and it works VERY well mounted to the front sprocket ;).
Hadn't thought about mounting it to the front sporcket (Good idea, though). As you look at the sprocket where is the outlet tube mounted (if it was a clock) or do you have a picture to hand??

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tis a long way to go for a service but they'll give yiou a free loan bike for the day so you can go and enjoy the local countryside.Only be an hour or so for you once you hit the M5 and AMS are about 2 minutes from J9.I usualy see 150 miles on mine before the fuel light comes on and with another 20 miles on top I still only manage to get 17 and a bit litres in.Superduke hugger is what you need to look for on Skidmarx website http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/section/mudguards/rear_huggers/other.html
Fowlups are still crap,no-one I know will use them for servicing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys :)

Much more responsive handling, in the normal sense that is. I realise a GS can be hustled about nicely but I never felt that front end gave the sort of feedback I'd like.
You're not kidding!!!!.....went up to AMS yesterday afternoon and had a test ride.....blown away by how 'small' and light the bike feels and so incredibly responsive and agile, amazing! :D

Loved the bike from the get go but I do have a couple of minor concerns.........SMT.......definately plenty of SM attributes but I feel it falls short on the T aspect (remember I'm coming from a GS!), VERY basic 'equipment' level as well - no control for trip computer on the handle bars, no fuel guage readout, no gear position indicator (never had one before until the GS but I'll miss it) and other 'nice to have' stuff like that....items like heated grips look like an after-market addon (no built in handlebar switch).

........wish I could afford to keep the GS and have the SMT as well as more of a 'play thing'
Awaiting quotes from James and then the serious thinking starts.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks for that.......I don't know if the poor Fowlers reputation still holds true? but I'm of an age that I remember how crap they were in years gone by!! - I'd prefer to go to a small dealer but Tewkesbury is a 154 mile round trip for me which is too much of a pain for servicing etc. Thanks for the suggestion though, if I go ahead and buy I may still be able to play Fowlers a bit more on the price :)
Luggage not waterproof, what use is that in the UK?!.......can't see any inner bags/liners :confused:

Skidmarx...on browsing round earlier I found mention here of their hugger and belly pan but their website is crap, no mention there that I could find and nobody's posted up pics here on the forum that I could find.........anybody? ;)

............and thanks for mentioning heated grips!!!!!!!!!....how'd I forget?!!!!

Anybody else any comments?..........please :D

The best dealer in our area .....by a mile is Sideways at Dorchester....I am as far away from them as you .....and I would not use any other see link to story below

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks guys :)

You're not kidding!!!!.....went up to AMS yesterday afternoon and had a test ride.....blown away by how 'small' and light the bike feels and so incredibly responsive and agile, amazing! :D

Loved the bike from the get go but I do have a couple of minor concerns.........SMT.......definately plenty of SM attributes but I feel it falls short on the T aspect (remember I'm coming from a GS!), VERY basic 'equipment' level as well - no control for trip computer on the handle bars, no fuel guage readout, no gear position indicator (never had one before until the GS but I'll miss it) and other 'nice to have' stuff like that....items like heated grips look like an after-market addon (no built in handlebar switch).

........wish I could afford to keep the GS and have the SMT as well as more of a 'play thing'
Awaiting quotes from James and then the serious thinking starts.
Aye.....all the things you mentioned as shortfalls are definately 'luxuries' to ANY normal motorbike.....;)

The emphesis of the SMT (IMHO) is definately on rider involvement and the grin factor....Motorcycles are supposed to make you feel alive, not comfortable and warm....that is what cars are for...:rolleyes:

The GS is a brilliant bike at what it does.....as is the SMT at what it does.....but they are different bikes, if you want all of the creature comforts then perhaps the new Ducati Multistrada is what you are after (see this months fastbikes)

BUT

If you want a proper motorcycle that CAN actually tour in relative comfort but also make you grin from ear to ear every time you throw a leg over.....No matter what the weather.....then I would be getting the KTM....;)

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got an SM 990 because I preferred the look to the SMT, but essentially they're the same bike (except the SM is of course BETTER! ;))

Rode to Route 55 near Chester yesterday, avoiding the motorways, then to in-laws near Hyde, avoiding the motorways. Then home, on the motorway to play in rush hour traffic!! :)666:) All totalled about 4 and a half hours riding. Woke up today with my fooked arthritic shoulder stiff as a board. Rode to work on the bike because there wasn't a cloud in the sky! :smokin: Can't move properly at work but don't care because I'm riding my bike home. They have this "effect" on you and this is why you MUST buy a KTM.

I only got mine at the beginning of March and am up to 1200 miles already! :burnout:

Off to Scotland at the weekend with the bird as she picks up her brand new BMW F650GS on Saturday. She'll be more comfortable but I'll be grinning like a cheshire cat and then getting pissed off waiting for her to catch up! :hmh:

There are more comfortable bikes, there are bikes with more bits as standard, BUT there is nothing that makes you feel like they do.

My other half's dad has been riding for 40+ years and has had every sort of bike imaginable. He currently has a ZZR110 and a Hyabusa. I let him have a go down the (private) lane where he lives. He came back past on one wheel then pulled into the stable yard and (because he had no hat on) you could see he was grinning like a simpleton! :D He was genuinely amazed at how good the bike is and said that he didn't expect it to be THAT good.

Did I mention you should buy one? :cool:

Modifications:
Hand guards
SMT seat
Zard carbon cans :cool:
Shad top box
KTM soft luggage
Heated grips (awaiting fitting)

Peeler

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've got an SM 990 because I preferred the look to the SMT, but essentially they're the same bike (except the SM is of course BETTER! ;))

Rode to Route 55 near Chester yesterday, avoiding the motorways, then to in-laws near Hyde, avoiding the motorways. Then home, on the motorway to play in rush hour traffic!! :)666:) All totalled about 4 and a half hours riding. Woke up today with my fooked arthritic shoulder stiff as a board. Rode to work on the bike because there wasn't a cloud in the sky! :smokin: Can't move properly at work but don't care because I'm riding my bike home. They have this "effect" on you and this is why you MUST buy a KTM.

I only got mine at the beginning of March and am up to 1200 miles already! :burnout:

Off to Scotland at the weekend with the bird as she picks up her brand new BMW F650GS on Saturday. She'll be more comfortable but I'll be grinning like a cheshire cat and then getting pissed off waiting for her to catch up! :hmh:

There are more comfortable bikes, there are bikes with more bits as standard, BUT there is nothing that makes you feel like they do.

My other half's dad has been riding for 40+ years and has had every sort of bike imaginable. He currently has a ZZR110 and a Hyabusa. I let him have a go down the (private) lane where he lives. He came back past on one wheel then pulled into the stable yard and (because he had no hat on) you could see he was grinning like a simpleton! :D He was genuinely amazed at how good the bike is and said that he didn't expect it to be THAT good.

Did I mention you should buy one? :cool:

Modifications:
Hand guards
SMT seat
Zard carbon cans :cool:
Shad top box
KTM soft luggage
Heated grips (awaiting fitting)

Peeler
He He....Nice one Peeler......It seems you and I share the same opinion....;) :D

Where are the piccies of the Zards mate, I'm dying to see them...:confused:

Also we will have to meet up sometime....maybe for a butty and a chinwag at Devils....:666:

My Folks only live in Haughton Green so I am there nearly every other weekend ;)

Cheers mate, Dave.

·
Registered
135 Posts
He He....Nice one Peeler......It seems you and I share the same opinion....;) :D
I LOVE MY BIKE! :)
So I'll probably love yours too. But then mine would get jealous and not let me ride her! :censored: PMSL

Where are the piccies of the Zards mate, I'm dying to see them...:confused:
Keep trying to get the missus to pose in her PVC boots on it but she's being boring! :frown:

PROMISE I will take some this afternoon.

Also we will have to meet up sometime....maybe for a butty and a chinwag at Devils....:666:

My Folks only live in Haughton Green so I am there nearly every other weekend ;)
Sounds like a plan Stan. Sorry, Dave. ;)

I've not ridden her to work today and I feel bad already! :scooter:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for all the imput here everyone :D

Aye.....all the things you mentioned as shortfalls are definately 'luxuries' to ANY normal motorbike.....;) ............
I know.....I've been spoiled in some ways with the Beemer.......I have had a few 'normal' bikes, my first one over 30 years ago now! :eek:

There are more comfortable bikes, there are bikes with more bits as standard, BUT there is nothing that makes you feel like they do.....
Well I certainly had a taste of that 'feeling' (again) and enjoyed it thoroughly........my heart is saying YES YES YES! but my 'mind' is saying but what about...

Keep trying to get the missus to pose in her PVC boots on it but she's being boring! :frown:

PROMISE I will take some this afternoon.
I'm liking this forum more and more! :cool:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just came to register here and blow me I am already a member!........had forgotten about the above posting.
Well I ended up with the MTS1200 Sport, been a great 4 years with it (despite the vagaries of Ducati ownership!) - this time I think there will be a 990 SMT in the garage sometime soon

:)blush: copy and paste from elsewhere)....

Hi, I currently own a 2010 Multistrada 1200 (from new) and have come to a point where I've decided to sell. Best bike I ever had to ride and even after 4 years I still enjoy every ride but the cost of ownership (servicing and parts) and to some extent, no longer being able to justify so much cash tied up in a bike, bring me to the decision to sell.
Touch of irony......I'd have been unlikely to own such an expensive bike if it weren't for the compensation money I received after a bad crash! :-O

I've narrowed down my options to a Tiger 1050 or a 990 SMT for a long time - having test ridden the Tiger, whilst a nice bike/ride it lacks in character.......however I haven't ridden an SMT, can't find a 'demo' bike anywhere - Fowlers [I live near Bristol] do have a used SMT in stock but don't allow test rides unless you put a deposit down on the bike as if to purchase and wait a week or so for the bike to go through their workshop prep! I do have a hankering for another V-twin :D

Bikes' for me now-a-days are purely for recreational use, regular days out 'hooning' around North Devon, Dorset, South Wales etc and occasional long weekends away.....Euro trips and the likes no longer an option after my crash (there's only so many days on the trot I can ride before long term effects of crash injuries get too much).

So a few questions (apologies if they've been answered before, I have had a few quick trawls through the forum but not had time for in depth researching):

# To the uninitiated (me) there's been no major changes to the SMT over the years? i.e. I'm considering a 2011 bike on the basis of buying price but could possibly push to a 2012.........other than age/mileage are there advantantages/disadvantages to 2011 vs 2012?
Specifically I'm interested in this bike advertised here on the forum:
KTM 990 SMT Forum - Join the conversation
...but wonder about it having been up for sale for so long. I have spoken to the current owner and all seems good to me and he sounds a genuine bloke. Am I missing something?? (UPDATE - been to see it and dicounted, going to see this 2012 this afternoon: MCN Ad

# What to look out for when looking at used 990 SMT's......stuff specific to these bikes, common weaknesses/faults/dodgy bits?

# The 990 motor has been around for a long while, pretty bullet proof I imagine?.......are these bikes good for high mileages if well looked after (no engine rebuild, suspension rebuilds or other expensive repairs likely)? (guess who's a bit nervous after owning a Ducat! lol)

# Any issue getting parts? (Ducati parts could be a nightmare, some times you can wait for weeks on parts!)

# Panniers........apparently the KTM offerings are not that good? Recommendations please

Any other comments/advice will also be very much appreciated - pointers to popular modifications for example.

Oh........maybe I should confess to being a bit of a bike maintenance and cleaning fetishist! lol.....and a bit of a geek occasionally! (my website: Motorcycle Info Pages - Home )

Anyone want a particularly nice MTS1200??!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Early onset dementia is a terrible burden - when you cannot remember what you were posting before. I have been criticised for re-posting the same comments regarding KTM bikes but my current mental state offers the opportunity to share the following.

If you are looking to populate your own website with copy regarding KTM bikes I'll offer you the following.Over the past decade KTM have produced some very stylish and innovative new models - they look stunning and when they are running well they offer a fantastic rider experience. However, in their rush to be first to market with a number of new products, they appear to have taken a number of shortcuts with r&d and value engineering. Some components are so fragile and clearly not fit for purpose that they fail within the warranty period and then the replacements fail again just out of warranty.

KTM have also struggled since 2008 to master the science of electronic fuel injection technology - stutters, cut outs, lumpy running and problems ticking over at idle have had owners frustrated and dealers unable/unwilling to resolve. Some KTM dealers, KTM UK and KTM Austria offer some of the worst after-sales support I have ever experienced. Strangely they don't seem to like engaging with customers or welcome feedback - try looking for any online invitation to make contact with them for good or bad feedback.

Across the UK, KTM also have a couple of dealers who seem to specialise in clearing slow shifting KTM stock at a discount price and I'd suggest you do a bit more research on what level of service you get with that discount price.

As for quality - in a word look at the 'electronics' - speak to industry professionals about the wiring looms, the connectors, the injection system and the clocks. I'll be very polite and use the word 'fragile'.

The KTM dealer network in the UK has also been shrinking and the consistency of service I received at three official dealers was shocking. One in particular didn't even have the right kit to service the bike and recommended I go to another dealer.

In your own particular case - proposing to buy a KTM ..... how lucky do you feel? Is Russian Roulette your idea of post-supper entertainment every Sunday evening?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the detailed insight albeit you paint a rather gloomy picture of KTM ownership!.......yet I notice you're a long time member here and I presume still a KTM owner?....so there must be some up-sides to KTMs! Having read as much as I can find time to it seems that SMT owners love the bike and whilst there are minor issues nothing that drastic...so rather confused by your point of view/experience :-(

My website.........sale of the Mutley seems a good point to call it a day with that project also, too time consuming (hobby I started when laid up long term after a bike crash that I got carried away with!), so no KTM section to come (even if I do go for the SMT).

Hopefully some other members will post alternative points of view/experience in response to your KTM lambasting :D

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hello Andy, Lee here, the same Lee on the Ducati forum aswell , arrrr Resti and his gloomy picture of the Ktm expierience ...... i agree with most of it even though all my ktms ive owned have been hardly any trouble .......then again they have all been low miles and ive only keep stuff for two weeks!

Ktms do have there niggles but Restis gripes are more with ktms handeling and customer care ........or lack of it , they do tend to let the owner finish off there R+D like....... taking an enduro or motocross bike up a dirty track has broke it ,or summat liike that , they like to wiggle out of warranty claims and come up with some bullshit .

Ktms and Ducatis are similar in my opinion they have something about them , when there on song they have a character about them , a buzz , a madness , a soul ,just need a bit more care and maintance than your average Hondayammysukizaki .

Funny your asking about the 990 smt , i had one on a 10 plate was a good bike , bit glitchy on the fueling but its fixable with mapping and mods , i got rid of it and got a 60 plate multistrada 1200 which if im honest felt a superior bike , more power and felt tighter on the chasssis ........but they are a lot more dosh ........!
Smt a good bike though ,definately worth a try

1 - 20 of 26 Posts