KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not mine, but the car drivers out there...

Last week, just pootling along, came to a 2:1 junction after a traffic light; I moved off and to my surprise an old fart in an old white SAAB undertakes, positions himself so I can't manoevre (supposedly) all the while sounding his horn and glaring straight ahead. I merely accelerated out of the way and thought no more of it.

Same thing happened just now at a different junction, different car, different old fart; this time I simply held my ground and gave the old fart the choice of going through me or the double decker bus obstructing him. If he had gone through me, he'd have had to drive his little magenta Ford (R552VAR) over the Adv to get to me, so I felt reasonably safe (22mph or so, not too quick). I left him parked behnd the bus for his pains.

I really don't know what gets into these cretins; I'm not far off their age, I suspect, at 53 and I really don't have any desire to feel the sort of urges that I guess they must feel. I mean, what am I supposed to feel when a Lambo waltzes past and I'm in my wife's Honda Jazz? Insane rage, I suppose...

Sorry about the rant, normal service will be resumed after a round or two of QuakeIII to calm down with...

Chris M

·
Registered
165 Posts
You're certainly not alone. We visited my parents yesterday via Boxhill- a nice 200 mile round trip. At every other round about some idiot cut me up by being in the wrong lane. It wasn't just the old farts either. It really makes me made when they do this, especially when they know they're in the wrong. I always feel better when re-overtaking them in traffic and giving them the evil eye...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think it seems to be that in general British drivers are crap and don't have the awareness of bikes drivers seem to have on the continent....I'm a firm believer in your car test should have a scooter phase, were you spent a few hours on a scooter to feel vulnerable.. Maybe it will be a good by-product of all these youths whizzing round on scooters these days...better awareness of bikes in the furure when they can afford car insurance. Anyway Traffic is getting so bad, give it 30years and the whole country will Have to be on a bike.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
UK drivers are generally very crap, Im sad to say.
Really polite, mostly .... but fook me, the whole indicating-before-turning/changing lane-is completely-optional-and-I-will-only-do-it-if-I-can-be-arsed-or-better-yet-after-I-have-started-turning thing is really getting on my tits. As is the I'll-drive-in-the-fucking-right-lane-or-middle-lane-even-though-the-left-lane-is-empty thing that is so popular on the M40 between Oxford an London ... I dont know what it is about that road ... but it does my head in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmm, all sounds very familiar. It's not the general crapness of the UK drivers that actually gets me, I can allow for that, but the offensive, gopping stupidity that the older ones seem to show at the moment. Younger ones I can live with as they're still learning, still aggressive, still trying to make their way in life, but the old farts who make a point of not looking at you whilst they try to kill you... That really does puzzle|irritate|offend me. I don't suppose I would feel quite so annoyed if they at least watched my dying throes, at least I could depart feeling that my adding colour to the landscape wasn't totally lost on them but deliberately not looking? It all makes me think of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal...

Chris M

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
UK drivers are generally very crap, Im sad to say.
Really polite, mostly .... but fook me, the whole indicating-before-turning/changing lane-is completely-optional-and-I-will-only-do-it-if-I-can-be-arsed-or-better-yet-after-I-have-started-turning thing is really getting on my tits. As is the I'll-drive-in-the-fucking-right-lane-or-middle-lane-even-though-the-left-lane-is-empty thing that is so popular on the M40 between Oxford an London ... I dont know what it is about that road ... but it does my head in.
Also very popular on the M60, M56 and the M62!! :wanker: You're not on your own Mooky, does my fookin box in too!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Guess what dudes? Its not just over there. They are totally shite over here in Norn Iron too. The self righteous "im sitting in the outside lane and i'm not moving because i'm doing the correct speed limit and your some bold boy who wants to go fast" attitude!! Yep, its widespread i'm afraid. Try riding in Germany - drivers are so much more considerate and so much more aware of bikes its unreal. Despite the fact that they are doing 120 +.
You can't beat a good rant!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a small but rational aside; I learnt to how to ride the French way years ago when I was working in Evry and living in Vincennes on the outskirts of Paris. I was commuting on the bike (a K100RS at the time) and having a miserable time. 20 miles of dual carriageway 90+mph nose-to-tail with me as the meat in the sandwich; not good. 4th morning I was there, my eyes were opened by the cars in front and behind me pulling to one side to let through a properly green Kwaka doing (I guess) about 120mph. He was doing his best to get out of the way of the giant trailie (probably a DrBig) that was trying to pass him through the middle of the traffic. Eureka! I pulled out into the 'bike lane', the one with the dotted line showing where it was, and had another six months of biking pleasure.

Working in Germany was almost as good but puzzling when I got shouted at by bikers for riding through a stationary traffic jam (the Friday evening 'stau') when all the cars were stationary for as far as the eye could see (about 2 miles). Germs and rules, eh?

Chris M (slightly more rational now)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I commute every day through London so cyclists, the majority of which lose all knowledge of the highway code the moment they get on a bike, top of my hate list, followed by drivers who pull the manoeuvre, indicate, mirror trick. Lastly on the motorway I leave a reasonable gap between the vehicle in front of me, this is not an invitation for some fecker to come and fill it, this happens all to often and has me spitting nails.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Left work on Friday. Temp traffic lights so pulled up to the front (loads of room). Lights change and Mr car floors it and swings to the right to block me! I had to stop to let him go.
Pull onto north circular and car leaves on off ramp - only to swerve back at the last minute nearly taking me out. Little further on a sack of rubble in the road. Onto A40 and a car stops in the outside lane. I sure needed my jacks that night.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Left work on Friday. Temp traffic lights so pulled up to the front (loads of room). Lights change and Mr car floors it and swings to the right to block me! I had to stop to let him go.
Pull onto north circular and car leaves on off ramp - only to swerve back at the last minute nearly taking me out. Little further on a sack of rubble in the road. Onto A40 and a car stops in the outside lane. I sure needed my jacks that night.

·
Ex 9fiddy sm'er
4,925 Posts
Bad echo eh ^^^ :D

We get more than our fair share of old feckers on the wee rock so I'm constantly aware of the appalling driving the over 60's seem to expose everyone too..

But on saying that, I happen to know one - lives in Leics, is past retiring age and has a fused spine so can't turn his head or neck. Dangerous bassa should be banned as everyone's driving is worse than his (even though most of the time he can't see a thing cos there's a big round thing in the way) and has a habit of swearing, pulling out then wondering why HE'S the one getting beeped!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Stupid phone!

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
A friend of a friend apparently carries his old spark plugs around with him in his jacket pocket. If some car upsets him enough, he unloads a spark plug at their window :D

I must say, I have been giving that more and more thought these days :smokin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts