KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have started to get the itch to buy another bike after having inline fours all my riding life. My 05 zx10r has been great and have never owned a twin before and an RC8 looks like it coudl fit teh bill.

1) Are there any issues out there that I should look out for
2) Essential mods

Apart from the usual bike wear and tear

Thanks

Kwack

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know of a bloody good RC8 R for sale ;) >> Click for details.

As soon as the rain has buggered off today I'll get the pictures done and posted up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Kwak,

have a look at this,

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/rc8-superbike/51184-buying-advice.html

I've got one of the early 2008 ones and have had most of the problems that you'll find on here, ( water pump seals, dash misting up, warped dscs, ) but they've all ben sorted by KTM very quickly.

If you can accept it's not going to be as 100% reliable as any Jap bike, you'll love it. It's not as fast in a straightline as my old GSXR1000K5 but I reckon it's quicker on real roads, best handeling bike I've ever ridden, let alone owned.

best advice anyone on here will give you is take one out for a test ride, but make sure you get it for a few hours, a twenty minute spin round the block won't be long enough to work out how good it is!

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Not always the case, in 15,000 miles mine's been more reliable than my previous 2 gixers

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Mines more reliable than your's.:p:p:p. I've just cracked the big 15K as well now FT, it just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Haha, seems it's the bikes that actually get used that perform properly ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
just got a bad one I reckon, probably a friday afternoon job, Its in albion at the moment waiting for new oil pumps cover seal, first one they've ever seen that has that problem and no seals in the uk

may change my forum name to lucky:rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
But my gixer 1000 did have a recall for frames cracking at the headstock, that worried me more than any KTM problems I've had.........

·
Registered
89 Posts
got the recall notice just after I sold it.....it was three years old then, so Suzuki took their time to admit a design faullt, where as KTM just get on and fix things. Hats off to KTM for their service.

perhaps I just need to rack up the mileage you and FT have done and then my 8 will be fine....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think you know whether or not you like a bike after a relatively short time, I've had shed loads and they only usually last 6-8 months but I've had the 8 for two years next month. Its well worth the 'niggles' I'm sure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
agreed, mine aint perfect, (maybe because it doesn't get enough use:rolleyes:) but I wouldn't swap it for anything right now, on a good day on the right road I can't think of anything else I'd rather be on

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Reliable !!! The issues that the bike has does not make it unreliable. Iv'e had 2 of these things now, it allways starts first time and does not break down so in my book its bloody reliable. Combined mileage on the 2 12000 and more to come :scooter:

·
Registered
89 Posts
as we say some are reliable ( probably the ones that get riden more:rolleyes:) and other less so. mine starts first time and has never stopped running but is currently back in the dealers as the oil pump housing is leaking oil onto the exhaust, after a ride it's like Tonto is sending up smoke signals there is some much white smoke coming from the burnt oil on the exhaust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts