KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all anyone running a powercommander on a 2016 smcr. Just bit the bullet and got one, gotta admit it’s certainly woke the bike up.
Question is does have any recommendations for best maps or if there’s any way of sharing maps,
Be good to find out more about tuning and getting the best out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interestingly I just bought a 2016 SMCR with a PCV. It has a full Akra, an air filter and a quick shifter. Don't think it has the stage 2 cam though.

Would be interested to hear what you find out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi all anyone running a powercommander on a 2016 smcr. Just bit the bullet and got one, gotta admit it’s certainly woke the bike up.
Question is does have any recommendations for best maps or if there’s any way of sharing maps,
Be good to find out more about tuning and getting the best out of it.

I have same model smcr with Pcv, full Akra, evo2 cam, head ported, cylinder decked and custom map.

Pc won’t do a thing unless bikes been on a Dyno and had the fuel/ignition adjusted through it (been mapped).

Look on dynojet website for the list of dynojet tuning centres if you want it mapped. Custom map is the only way to go. £150-£200.

All the big power gains though are in the cam (and map to suit).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have same model smcr with Pcv, full Akra, evo2 cam, head ported, cylinder decked and custom map.

Pc won’t do a thing unless bikes been on a Dyno and had the fuel/ignition adjusted through it (been mapped).

Look on dynojet website for the list of dynojet tuning centres if you want it mapped. Custom map is the only way to go. £150-£200.

All the big power gains though are in the cam (and map to suit).
I have enjoyed reading your posts on those mods. Sounds like a cam could be on the cards in the future. I'm really enjoying the little beasty at the moment though!

Is head porting expensive?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Head porting and cylinder decking done at the same time. Was about £450 I think inc gaskets and return postage. I sent a complete engine, so that included stripping and rebuilding. Postage of engine to them was about £60.

They said they would’ve fitted a cam for free during the job as they had it apart anyway. I asked at the time as my mate had one then and was thinking about the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Head porting and cylinder decking done at the same time. Was about £450 I think inc gaskets and return postage. I sent a complete engine, so that included stripping and rebuilding. Postage of engine to them was about £60.

They said they would’ve fitted a cam for free during the job as they had it apart anyway. I asked at the time as my mate had one then and was thinking about the same.
What sort of gains you get having that lot done?

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you chuck ‘690 smcr power curves’ in the search box on the forum, it’ll bring up the thread I started with the comparison graphs I made from the Dyno sheets I had after mapping. They show a better picture than just numbers. Even so it feels a lot more than they show too.

It’s something like this....

54/55 standard
56 Akra and Ktm Akra map
64 Cam Pcv
67 ported cam Pcv

Went as high as 70 on the fly through the gears, but all those are from tick over to the Rev limiter in 3rd.

So 12/13 overall. All figures at the rear wheel.

Is still an absolute riot to ride...never gets boring!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would anyone have a link to where the stage 2 cam can be purchased from. I have a 2016 SMC R model and have the bike booked in for a PCV and mapping at the end of the month, so I would like to fit a cam to make best use of the mapping service. My bike has the full Akra and the air box mod that cam with it, would this be suitable for the map, or are there better intakes available.

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
For the air filter, and the battery is relocated to the front of the bike, that’s a battery tray in the pic on the link. The kit is designed for the earlier models so takes a bit of tweaking to fit. You will also need the k and n crankcase breather filter as the pipe work is different on our models.

I cut down the existing battery tray (removed the part that holds the battery) rather than remove it all completely, left the rest in that holds the fuses etc, and put the ecu under the new filter.

Shout if you get stuck and i’ll post some pics of what you’ll end up with. Mine’s nice and tidy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The bottom line is that if you fit a Power Commander then it needs setting up on a dyno......fact.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bottom line is that if you fit a Power Commander then it needs setting up on a dyno......fact.
Phoned jhs this afternoon see about getting mine in for a dyno. Any advice on what to get done before it goes in. Got open air box is it worth getting the k&n folter in there?
Got Leo vince slip on. And pcv.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those are some compelling graphs. I think I will go the same way with mine.
I enquired at Jim Aim Braintree about fitting a cam and they said that it was not possible to fit one to the 2016 model. Clearly it is as people have done it. Wonder why the cam was only sold for up to 2013 models and then not marketed from then on?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Those are some compelling graphs. I think I will go the same way with mine.
I enquired at Jim Aim Braintree about fitting a cam and they said that it was not possible to fit one to the 2016 model. Clearly it is as people have done it. Wonder why the cam was only sold for up to 2013 models and then not marketed from then on?

It’s bollocks. It def goes in....get it in there!

The rest of the kit is designed for the earlier models and takes tweaking, but all the info for that is on here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts