KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, my 1st KTM, and my 1st bike with semi active suspension.

I have a Preload Failure after I changed the setting from Single to Two with Luggage, while I was sitting on the bike, No pillion, it flasshed the 2 persons logo then went solid, then turned on the waring light, so i thought i would change it back and nothing happened. now i have got the warning light an warning message flashing at me randomly.

I refered to the manual, and you are supposed to set the preload with none on the bike, and on the central stand, so i tried that, and still the warning light is on. I watch a few Youtube video's but none of the fixed my issue.

Any and all advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Oh dear. Hope its fixable.
When the guy serviced my rear shock, although it was on a 990, I mentioned that the pre load was seized. He warned me of impending doom and cost, as the thread on the preload is very fine and easily damaged, with grit, mud and road grime, especially if off roaded. Luckily he was able to free it, easily.
Good luck. I expect it's the motor or something simple.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh dear. Hope its fixable.
When the guy serviced my rear shock, although it was on a 990, I mentioned that the pre load was seized. He warned me of impending doom and cost, as the thread on the preload is very fine and easily damaged, with grit, mud and road grime, especially if off roaded. Luckily he was able to free it, easily.
Good luck. I expect it's the motor or something simple.
Thanks DoubleL, ill get my local Bike Mechanic to look at it 1st, then if neeed to the main dealer.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks DoubleL, ill get my local Bike Mechanic to look at it 1st, then if neeed to the main dealer.
I dont hold out any hope of anybody touching the new semi active suspension locally, however the rear shock failed on my GT and I tried K Tech, and all sorts before some very good friends in the enduro world put me in touch with a gentleman called Julian Stevens of 666 suspension services,he managed to rebuild my shock for a fraction of what KTM wanted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's worth checking the electrical connector to the rear shock. It's quite exposed and water can run into it. I had problems with mine and this was the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's worth checking the electrical connector to the rear shock. It's quite exposed and water can run into it. I had problems with mine and this was the issue.
Hi BigMadStu, i checked that and all was in good order, no damp, or corroded connections, sprayed with electrical cleaner for good measure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi BigMadStu, i checked that and all was in good order, no damp, or corroded connections, sprayed with electrical cleaner for good measure.
Was worth a go, as you now know the connector is not the problem. Gets a bit more complicated after this. I suspect either the preload motor has failed, it's lost calibration or the mechanism has jammed. Maybe worth unplugging the bike's battery for 10 mins. Reconnect it, fire up the bike and see if it will move the preload through the entire range. ( I would go less preload 1st ) This could sort out the calibration. If that's no good then I think you are looking at a visit to a dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts