KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been a great topic of do pros use recluses as they have the larger oil capacity holding covers fitted to their bike.
Jarvis has denied it several times on social media.
when I watched red bull Romaniacs this year I was seriously impressed how smooth and torquey the engine sounded when setting off and noted how good their clutch control must be to keep the engine revs so constant when setting off.
But a friend has just spotted this clip of billy bolt setting off. Clutch fully out. Knocks bike into gear and then sets off.
Thoughts ????

http://instagr.am/p/CHzoIqqgdTp/

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Could well be a recluse...but i dont understand why its a secret? Well spotted though :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks to me as though he did use the clutch with one finger and also stalled the engine by letting the clutch out.
I rode with a group in Spain once who were doing a Romaniacs boot camp, I was the only one with a Recluse on a 200 EXC, the consensus was that it really helps up to point were you want to launch up something or fine balance control like where they bounce the front around on a rock ledge. Lowering a bike down hill dragging the back wheel is also an issue.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Bloody hell i cant see him pull clutch :D why would you use one? Recluse that is!

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I’m with snaf. He stalls it in gear and holds it on the gear box, right foot on the floor not the brake. Billy is a big lad so my guess is he’s using as bigger span as he can on the clutch lever, maybe even a 125/150 mc as with those you need barely any movement to disengage the clutch and they are super light, one finger is plenty. His fingers are definitely on the lever. As he moves off you can hear the changes in engine note as he pulses the lever slightly.

Nobody uses all their fingers and pull the lever to the bar do they? Two at the most and if the bite points right then not much movement. I know I don’t move mine much other than tapping into gear when cold.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
I sent the video to Paul Bolton and he said he uses a clutch and only pulls it in a little. A recluse is no use to them in Romaniacs.
Talked to a friend who was several times second in Austrian Championship and he said almost all good riders ask for a clutch engaging as late as possible, meaning when the lever is farthest away from the bars. He said he watched the other Romaniac videos and you can see on quite some of them that the top riders almost have no visible clutch action. I watched about ten videos now and have to admit, that seems to be true. I bet Billy has no Rekluse, if he had one he hadn't stalled the engine.

I can remeber that there are some guys on here knowing Damo, why not ask him, he should know.

Zip, long time no see. Glad you're still there.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
A Rekluse is no use full stop. Sure it helps those really struggling with stuff but it’ll also mean they can’t learn good technique with levers etc. Perfect for anyone with injuries etc as I’d rather see them get out and ride with a Rekluse than not at all.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Damo said Graham uses a normal clutch but can't remember if it's a full Rekluse or just some parts.

I can't see anyone using an auto clutch when the going gets tough as the bike just freewheels in either direction on tickover etc

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I’m with snaf. He stalls it in gear and holds it on the gear box, right foot on the floor not the brake. Billy is a big lad so my guess is he’s using as bigger span as he can on the clutch lever, maybe even a 125/150 mc as with those you need barely any movement to disengage the clutch and they are super light, one finger is plenty. His fingers are definitely on the lever. As he moves off you can hear the changes in engine note as he pulses the lever slightly.

Nobody uses all their fingers and pull the lever to the bar do they? Two at the most and if the bite points right then not much movement. I know I don’t move mine much other than tapping into gear when cold.
I'm with you on the mc..... pros use the No9 mc for lighter feel ....2 strokes come standard with the No10 mc

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Anyone guess why they use the 10mm as stock?

Other than making the pull far lighter/nicer I can’t see any reason? Seems daft to put a worse pull/feel piston in there. My only thought is that with the lighter pull it’d be easy to kill a clutch if you don’t have any finesse. We’d all winge a lot if we only got 25-50 hours out a clutch.

I know if I had a 250/300 there is no way I’d use the 10mm piston. 9mm all the way.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
9mm on my TPI

Reactions: Miner and slugger
1 - 16 of 16 Posts