KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to road register a 09 xc-f 250 and have had some good advice from members on here and now need some more.

So far I've got a dating letter from Ktm uk (£100 for 2 lines on a bit of headed paper, robbing bastards !)
Insurance on the frame number, v55 and customs declaration.

DVLA are now asking for a certificate of conformity, which i can't get as it is a USA import. I explained this and they said in that case i need to take it to vosa and get it IVA tested which is the new version of the SVA test which is for kit cars and customs etc. As you can imagine this is very complicated and in depth and the bike will need full lighting,indicators speedo and every other conceivable piece of road going crap.

Now i know it is possible to register this bike without all this but how do you get round all this red tape ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
i had this with an import drz400e, first get dating letter, then insure on frame number, then take bike for mot (they can mot it on the frame number) then go to local dvla office with aplication for V5 and fee for both application and first years road tax, receive year related reg number with v5 and tax disc from nice chap behind the counter, go get reg plate made, jobs a good'un,

when u go to local dvla office take the bike with you (obviously on trailer or in van) as they may want there guy to check the numbers before issuing the v5.

·
Registered
151 Posts
its all changed now and for the worse as wardy is finding out also a friend of mine was requested to show a vat recipt again you did not used to need one,well i did not on the 4 bikes i registerd before.

·
Registered
270 Posts
its all changed now and for the worse as wardy is finding out also a friend of mine was requested to show a vat recipt again you did not used to need one,well i did not on the 4 bikes i registerd before.
the goverment adding more red tape i take it.

it used to be so easy to do.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
You need to write EXEMPT in the 'type approval' box. The write ENDURO BIKE in the box over the page under your name and address.

Job done :)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Ive done this twice and never had any problems at all , first time was very straight forward second time i needed a letter from ktm to prove age of bike (this was free from ktm uk) .

Had to take bike up in van a few days later for a nice lady with a clipboard to look at it before they gave me the paperwork , all very painless :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Certificate of newness /conformity is so that the DVLA can issue you an age related plate ,KTM send them to you free ,just ring them up with the frame number .

Othe jap manufactures charge a fee of around £50 for this service ,so another thumbs up for KTM then

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I just registered a usa import sxf but i got a mate who owns a ktm dealership to do it, no hassle at all straight through, didnt even look at the bike..

·
Registered
151 Posts
well it turns out the main problem was sat behind the desk in exeter dvla ! i took all the paperwork to Truro office last week when i was workingdown there and they sorted it out straight away, no questions asked - happy days....

thanks for all the advice
truro is my local office and has been spot on,suprisingly for a dvla office, did they issue your bits there and then minus v5 or no

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Law used to be: seat height over xxx with ground clearancer over 3?? for enduro bikes and seat height under xxx and ground clearance over 3?? for trials bikes were exempt from SVA/ type approval.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts