KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Progressive Springs for PDS Shocks - What’s your experiences / feedback?

Bike is 2015 300 EXC with PDS Trax shock... lost some weight so need to change spring.

This one uses a linear rate spring, my old 2002 200/2 has a progressive spring. Unsure on whether they have changed the damping characteristics of the PDS shock to suit the linear spring, so best to stick with it?

Or think that change isn’t always progress and to go with a progressive spring? I know they went progressive again >2017.

Down to 92.5kg without gear... Running 76 250 (95-105) need to drop to 72 250.... also got the 66-86 260 from my old bike I can try... struggling to get enough sag with the 76 spring, need to come down a rate.

Race Tech spring calculator recommends P15 spring which says 75 initial... looks awfully close to 76 so could be an issue?

Open to trying something different if it’s a better option.... also just banging a 72-250 in and moving on.

Trax shock, recently rebuilt, not looking to change the valving just now. Cheers.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Straight rate was my preference. The multi type just felt inconsistent and no control.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock suspension on the old bike has always felt better than the stock stuff... maybe just bang the whole shock in and see what it feels like?

I emailed RaceTech, they’ve never run one on a Trax shock but sure it will be ok... I did see however that there’s damping needle mods to make the PDS more progressive. One of the boys runs a Husaberg 570 with telescopic needle and P15 spring... not sure what the setup is like inside the Trax shock though... assume it is pretty decent. Might tap Mike up for more info...

[mention]Pindie [/mention]was your progressive spring feeling odd on a stock PDS? Or had you changed the needle? Did you also notice anything odd when setting the sag due to the springs in the cup that does with the preload adjuster? I noticed that there’s definitely a point where the springs sack out when adjusting the spring preload.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I tried the straight rate on both shocks. I preferred the feeling on either. If I ever have another pds bike I’d do it again. Both shock were modded but I don’t know exact details. No issues setting sag etc. It just felt better.

It’s worth just trying it.

TQKTM is running 2016 suspension on a 19 250 tpi. Apparently it doesn’t fit bit that is rubbish. It fits and it works. Bloody well too.

Reactions: TQKTM

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I tried the straight rate on both shocks. I preferred the feeling on either. If I ever have another pds bike I’d do it again. Both shock were modded but I don’t know exact details. No issues setting sag etc. It just felt better.

It’s worth just trying it.

TQKTM is running 2016 suspension on a 19 250 tpi. Apparently it doesn’t fit bit that is rubbish. It fits and it works. Bloody well too.
its ace!!! :cool: come and try it

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Another vote for the linear springs, whether in shock or forks....

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
what's the spring in my 2020 500,linear or progressive?

cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts