KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
yes but the shock needs to be modified to suit, its setup for straight rate only as standard. Fitting a progressive spring on a stock shock will make it very stiff deep in its stroke and it will kick and buck around.

There are some semi progressive springs with much smaller jump in rate which can be used and work ok on stock shocks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just bought a 2011 xc 250 , the previous owner had a full set up by Dr shox .
It has a pro-max progressive rear spring fitted so would assume Chris would have valved it to suit .
Do you have experience with them at all ?
I have set the static spring preload to the 5mm std as per manual (only 2mm different to how it was) but then started to wonder if a progressive spring should have a different static preload ?
The idea seems to make sense to me in theory .
Is the bladder conversion worth doing for cross country and motocross ?

Cheers

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm 100kgs kitted and use a progressive 80-100 white power spring. Brokenlegs converted the shock to single piston for me. The ride is now really supple and smooth. Its much better for the long days I do as its way way less tiring. Its also very well controlled in the rocky choppy steep stuff. I don't race mind. I'm chuffed and Brokenlegs service was brill. Big up to the fella.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes , that's the kind of positive feedback I've read of . Trouble is my bike rides like a posessed pogo stick .
I simply cannot charge at whopped out sections of woodlands / sand with big acceleration bumps .
It's not so bad on braking bumps but I'm sure that's the slowing effect that the brakes have on damping .
I've added rebound in harder/slower on the rear by ten clicks and four clicks harder on the front , it's better still quite unpredictable and washy on corners .
I was wondering if the rate of the springs are too stiff/high but that's what I'm struggling to find out .

The spring is a Pro-max 470-076 from what I can make out on the spring .
This is the only web page I can find with some info on the springs

PROMAX :: Shocks, Fork & Shock Springs, Piston Kits :: Your Suspension Shop :: Adelaide, Australia

I was told that the bike was resprung and valved for a 13.5 stone club level rider . I'm 12.5 with no kit but ride quite hard at a good club a / expert level .

I have just gone from a fourstroke to this two stroke tho maybe I'm just struggling changing over ? On the 250-f I'd happily hit square edge whoops full throttle all day long .

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Sounds like it's been poorly setup ?? But that all depends what the original owner got it set up
For.

Ring Chris and ask if the shock has had a single piston conversion if not try a straight rate spring for your weight

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like it's been poorly setup ?? But that all depends what the original owner got it set up
For.

Ring Chris and ask if the shock has had a single piston conversion if not try a straight rate spring for your weight
Yes ill get onto that tomorrow , is that what is required to make it work propperly with a progressive spring ? I have seen factory connection offering progressive spring , single piston and bladder conversion all in the aid of getting linkage quality progression . Is that also worth doing in your opinion ?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
yes but the shock needs to be modified to suit, its setup for straight rate only as standard. Fitting a progressive spring on a stock shock will make it very stiff deep in its stroke and it will kick and buck around.

There are some semi progressive springs with much smaller jump in rate which can be used and work ok on stock shocks

are there improvements to get from fitting a progressive spring and conversion to a Trax shock Mark?
cheers

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
bill its all horses for courses, unless you racing dont waste you money on a trax the stock shock setup works very well.

If you understand how the pds works you would see why a progressive setup can work.

On the 12 onwards bikes, a tweaked stock shock with straight rate spring works great

03-07 the progressive setup and single piston conversion works best

08/09 there little difference between straight rate or progressive

10/11 with the newer shock needle same as 12 on, straight rate setup works great

shock bladders do deform better than a piston so sharp edge deflections are less but they leak so i dont fit them as a rule but many do, you can valve shocks to perform much better with the oem piston.

certain applications where your carrying more kit and fuel a semi progressive spring is the way forward

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
had a quick ride on my new 500 yesterday
the 014 OE forks seem ok for rock-shagging,having a good blast all day with mates today,we'll see
shock seems ok too,but rides high

been using a coupla Trax shocks for a few years now
one of the best benefits for me is the ride height reduction
don't kow how or why but they ride about 25-35mm lower,which helps alot in the slow stuff
i'm sure the Trax shock'll be going on before the weekend

you need to come down here and set everyones bikes up
spare bike in the garage
try to kick the pie habit tho'
don't want you shagging the shock..............................;)

cheers

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Just found this after I’d posted my previous thread on progressive springs whilst using the web view... useful thread. Confirms what I though. 👍🏼

1 - 13 of 13 Posts