KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

In my projects early stage i need to know some info on the engines size. I don´t have acces to an RC8(R) and need help to measure the distance were the engine mounts at the swingarm. It is how wide it is between the swingarm-engine-swingarm.

Sorry for the bad english.

Ask if you need more info.

Regards
Mikael
Denmark

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ok, it´s hard to get an exact measurement without pulling the subframe, I have glare from the side to read the distance.
But as I can see it´s very cklose to 160mm, I would say 159mm.
The enginemounts are 147mm so there are spacers to fill those gaps.

What are you building?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi and thankyou Ricken. It is very hard to do when i don´t own a bike like this my self. Why and what i´m building is a long story. The background story:
I have ridden very much on the 950 adv s and think its a great piece of bike. With its flaws like everyone else. Before i went to ISAF 6(Afghan 2008 aug(helmand)) i bought this ktm 530 exc. THe exc took all the offrad i could get to and furthere. So i did not use the 950 as much offroad anymore. Back when i got the 950 i travelled to North Cape. Beautyful as hell. This christmas i thought of going out and have some adventures on the Adventure. But this time i would travel way more LIM(Less Is More). And i would like to travel as much gravel as possible. At first i thought of doing the adventures on a nice FJR1300 and just dump the idea of gravel and offroading. But i got my head banged into a call and made the conclusion; that without gravel and the abillity to travel everywhere, I would just be another BMW 1200 GSA. But i would really like to have some more engine to the long speedy hauls on the Slab. Then came the idea with the RC8(R) engine in the frame of the adventure and yes why the hell not. It would be just ultra perfect(just like dumping that 2000lb in a Tango Bravo compound, it fits lovely). I would have the speed and touring abillity like the FJR and the gravel crusie missile KTM made from day ONE. Ofcourse i´m well aware that this won´t come easy and i´m aware that it can be a nogo. But hey...its fun and its raw horsepower.

Final cut and idea:

Base bike: KTM 950 Adventure S 2004 64900km
Touratech tanks : 44l
R/L rear tanks : 20l
Touratech tankback(very big and spacious) made for the fillergaps.
Giant loops saddlebag.(jet boil, hennessy hammock, sleeping back, food, water, stuff blablablablablaaaaaaaa
320mm suspension front and rear(and ofcourse heavyer springs suitable for the extra weight).
RC8(R)...doesn´t really matter which one comes first. The cost is almost the same. 150 or 170 hp it would be insane anyway.

I think this could be a real interesting travel bike.

questions:
1 - Would it be to difficult to gear it down. I presume that the is very "long legged"...as in 1st gear would do 100km/h or so?!?!?!? I just can´t calculate what the speed would be if i did 16-46. Anyone?
2 - More will come....

IF any of YOU have some good info, drawbacks, ideas, problems, solved problems...PLEASE POST

Best Regards

Mikael Engmark

ps: Sorry for crappy english

·
Registered
885 Posts
Is there any space in the Adventure motor to bore it out at all and do something with the engine that's already there? I don't know, a big bore kit or something might be easier (and cheaper?) than buying and fitting the RC8 motor.. There again, I assume you've already considered this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I came upon a new question in this labyrinth. When i get the engine would there be any problems pairing it with another ECU unit? I´m thinking it would be locked or anything?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohhh

Question nr 2: I get 3 types of fault from my EFI lamp(blink codes). The last of them is the problem. Fault is: 5 Long, 3 Short(and yes we have checked several times). Would you know which type of fault it is or could you link something. I got the user manual which shows me the 2 first faults i get, but this one is a mystery.

Regards
Mikael

·
Registered
436 Posts
judging by your drawing I think you need the measurement from the swingarm? if that is the case I have a loose swingarm from my RC8 in the garage. I will measure it tomorrow for you and even take a few shots for you if you wish.
Judging by the link Mikael posted he's some way beyond the question he asked in 2010 about the swing arm :eek:!

Looks like a fantastic project Mikael.....love it :D . Sorry I can't be of any help with the techie stuff :(

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Judging by the link Mikael posted he's some way beyond the question he asked in 2010 about the swing arm :eek:!

Looks like a fantastic project Mikael.....love it :D . Sorry I can't be of any help with the techie stuff :(
D'oh. I hate it when that happens. Glad I didn't get up there and then and go to the garage in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Help again.

Hi again

After some help from the OC in the TuneEcu, I took one more step a head. Computer and ECU connected fast and got me to fiddle with the details. All i want was to load the RC8R(all years)map and shut off the O2 and SAI(SAS). After that i restarted and deleted all the faults. Now i only get a faulty MAP sensor. We did cross check the sensor with the other one and still get the same fault...on the same plug?! hmm...wiring fun.

Today i put in some work to get the bike start. No it didn´t start.

EFI: 9 short flashes(MAP)

Immobiliser: 2 short, 1 long(immobiliser not activated).

I have never heard of any procedures to activate the immobiliser? Is it not ON allways? From the procedures i can read in the manual, i can only activate my 2 black keys.

Question of the day. Can i "train" activate an de-activated key?

Nothing else has happened beside my reworked suspension is coming in from Mr Poskitt. Then i have a rolling chassis again. December should bring time to get the exhaust done.

Crappy phone pic

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Hi Michal,

Nice work so far. I like the new Adventure dash!

The procedure for the keys is in the RC 8 manual, but you need the orange key to make anything possible.

I see the Bazzaz in the picture. If that is connected, it will 'bypass' the ECU data and control the injectors all by itself. If the bike won't start for sure you have the wrong map installed.
(assuming you have no problems with the keys not being recognized).

So if the bike goes through its setup procedure when you fllick the key and are ready for pushing the starter button. You should hear several servos minding their business. RPM and speedo will run up & down. If the bike than does not start it's your map.
If it starts and cuts out, its the immobilizer but then your keys are programmed okay
If it does not do all of the above, i'd re-program the key first to get past that barrier.

Well at least that is what i think

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aha...now we are talking. hmm...i´ve got all keys 2 blacks and 1 orange. Immobilizer(incl keys + keycard) and ecu are bought from new. So its all fresh out of the crate. First of all i have fiddled with the keys and tried to program them. May have done it wrong in the start. But(t) if i should have done anything wrong in the procedure, would i have "lost" the used black key. An example; If i de-activated #1 black key. Would i lose this one forever or could i just program it again with the orange?
When i turn on ignition it buzzes and fuzzes, fuelpump testing(facet), speedo up/down. Looks like a map problem.

1: wrong map.
2: Need to reprogram keys.

Would you agree that it makes no difference with the Bazzaz unit mounted.

Last question: Have any of you had a faulty MAP sensor? I think its the wiring or similar. I´ve tried using the other good MAP sensor which worked fine, though again on the "faulty" plug it flawed. Anyone played with this?

Sorry for the messy and confusing writing and for my bad english.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I had 2 problems with 2 different bikes once.

First one had an overheated ECU due to it begin to close to a fire in the workshop. I rebuilt the bike and had to buy a new ECU with keys and card just like you. Bike never ran with that ECU, not even fuzzed. We swapped the ECU with an ECU from my mates demo KTM bike, and it fired straight up. We put the new ECU in the demo bike and it never started. ECU went back to KTM. We were sent a reprogrammed ECU and swapped everything round again. All bikes started but what KTM did we were never told. (it also reported problems with the keys, but in the end that was all a false alarm)

2nd one, was my Track bike. I run an aftermarket Laptimer/Dashboard so i'm not given any flash codes. I put on the twin exhaust system and had to switch to the underbelly akra. As such i had to change maps. The bike always ran fine. I loaded the respective Tune ECU map (KM693CR11B0333Map.hex Mine is a 2012 Track model). It never started and all different fault codes appeared in TuneEcu. Including your Map sensor Fault. If the ECU cannot determine certain basic/initial values. It wont set the "allow engine to start bit", so it will never start. It took me 2 nights to walk through all the parameters, but in the end i loaded the original map again (KM691CR0980236Map.hex ) and no errors displayed bike fired up right away.

The Bazzaz will add or subtract values to the mapping from the ECU. Making it possible to adjust a map in such a way, the bike has a map it wont start on.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts