KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed it today - whilst I'm sure it could be a few things, are warped discs most likely or is there another usual suspect?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not saying they are warped , but mine developed a pulsing under both heavy and light braking, took it to Leisure Trail and they changed the discs under
warranty for me, as the mechanic reckoned they had warped, nothing drastic like but enough he said to have them swapped.

There are obviously others reasons for the pulsing though.

Ads.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
its in your head!!! unless you are the kind of rider who always knows what gear they are in and can tell when one fork leg has a slight weep by the minute change in handling characteristics......

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I was told that if the disc/s are warped you cannot mistake it for anything else, it would feel terrible, unridable almost.
the front brakes on my 950 used to pulse under light loading when i first got the bike. most noticable just before coming to a stop... the previous owner treated her like a pussycat (before the bin incident that is). upon quizzing the stealer i cleaned up the calipers, dressed the pad edges and pad backing edges (to create more room) which improved it but didnt cure it. in the end it went away after a couple of thousand clicks... I was then told by a non-KTM mech from a very respected garage (and Brembo servicing centre) that is was probably glazing on the disc from the previous owner being far to light on the brakes. I think the tolerances are so small on the KTM brembo set-up that the slightest buildup can be felt through the lever...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just noticed it today - whilst I'm sure it could be a few things, are warped discs most likely or is there another usual suspect?
There are a few threads about this already. Seems to be fairly common on the 950SM. Try a search?

I had the same problem on my 950SM and it definitely wasn't a glazed disc or my imagination. To check it, I put the bike on paddock stands and taped a wire pointer to the fork leg, almost touching the suspect disc, then spun the front wheel (helps if you remove the calipers). If the disc isn't running true, it'll be obvious as you watch the gap between pointer and disc. Mine had a definite warp (some people claimed that it's caused by muck on the bobbins, preventing the disc from floating, but cleaning them didn't work for me)

My disc had become so bad that I hated having to use the front brake and started using it less than before. I think it forced me to plan corners better and I'm convinced it actually improved my riding!

I bought a new disc which cost around 215 quid :eek: Problem solved :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts