KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Just purchased a (new to me) RC8 and it is in pretty good nic.

The only cosmetic issue I can see is a 'pool' of orange underneath one of the frame bolts.

If you can imagine what a small pool of water would look like in that spot (see image) then that is what the rust looks like.

A quick squirt of silicone spray and most of it went. I will clean the rest of it out shortly.

I'm curious to know if that indicates that the bolt has had it and/or if it's safe to ride. It is a fairly important bolt that connects the frame to the rear suspension haha...

Cheers!

Freddie
ktm-rc8-left.jpg

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If you're in doubt and just to free up your mind when riding, get a new one. its probably not very expensive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It'll be fine, just a bit of minor rust where water's been sitting, as above whip the bolt out, check out if there's any corrosion on the it or the frame and treat / clean it up

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
You are going to die.

(ok Scruff...you got me.)

Reactions: Scuff

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
It'll be fine, just a bit of minor rust where water's been sitting, as above whip the bolt out, check out if there's any corrosion on the it or the frame and treat / clean it up
And use ACF50 and a bike dryer in the future. Recessed mounting bolts in trellis frames are the worst for water retention. So are Torx head bolts in general. They hold water where Allens don't. Change to Allens please KTM..

·
Registered
350 Posts
And use ACF50 and a bike dryer in the future. Recessed mounting bolts in trellis frames are the worst for water retention. So are Torx head bolts in general. They hold water where Allens don't. Change to Allens please KTM..
It's coming back to me now, I owned an RC8 10 years ago and remember changing a number of Torx head bolts for Allens, pain in the arse....

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Fucked your video off after 20 seconds, bored zzzzzzzzz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts