KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for better bulbs for the 990 Adv ever since I bought it - my last bike had Philips Vision+ bulbs, but they don't do a H3.

But at the Donington 4x4 Show I found someone selling Osram Night Breaker bulbs so I bought one, and a Philips H7 to go with it. (Actually, I got two H7s because cars need them in pairs so they come in a twin pack...)

Not used them on the road yet, but from past experience they'll help a lot. Test ride scheduled for later this week, so I'll let you know what they're like.

Much cheaper and easier to install than a HID kit. :D

I also took the opportunity of repositioning the GPS bracket, which has been rubbing on the screen (and has almost worn through it :eek:). Anyone know how much a replacement original screen is?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Piaa

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Piaa bulbs by far the best way to get more light other than hid

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not as easy as just changing the bulb though! ;)
I disagree...I thought it might be a mare, but it was easy.

Old Bulb out
New bulb in
Old wiring plugs into the "Ballast"
"Ballast" plugs into the new bulb

It really is that easy. All you have to do is cable tie the "Ballast" inside the fairing somewhere and it`s job done.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Not as easy as just changing the bulb though! ;)
Its not much more than a bulb change.. mounting the ballast that takes time ..I fitted mine under the bottom yoke .........hid is a different world to halogen I would not mess with all these bulbs offering 10 or 20 % more light they are still yellow in comparison......

B

·
0 Posts
Piaa bulbs by far the best way to get more light other than hid
i fitted two PIAA driving lamps - small, bright and very sexy looking. the local dark welsh backroads look like daylight now even in the darkest december evening :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
i fitted two PIAA driving lamps - small, bright and very sexy looking. the local dark welsh backroads look like daylight now even in the darkest december evening :)
what model piaa lamps did you fit

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Its not much more than a bulb change.. mounting the ballast that takes time ..I fitted mine under the bottom yoke .........hid is a different world to halogen I would not mess with all these bulbs offering 10 or 20 % more light they are still yellow in comparison......
Got to agree, Hid is far superior in every way and the bulbs last alot longer too. Brings a new meaning to let there be light ;)

If your going to get one though get a car kit as you get twice the amount for yer money or half in with a mate.

B

·
0 Posts
what model piaa lamps did you fit
i fitted a pair of 1100X lamps

i agree that HID provides a whiter and brighter light once on but i wanted to avoid the initial delay on "ramp up" and also, for me, depth perception is better with a slightly yellow light - i find HID to be all contrast and no depth, if you know what i mean.

on "main" i now have the dip, main and two dichrotic lamps (with output equivalent to 85W standard lamps each) all on at the same time and that is a serious amount of illumination - something approximating (equivalent of) 285 Watts without the problem of "ramp up" time and poor depth perception.

personally i wouldn't change to HIDs but we are all different and if thats your thing, great :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts