KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's one for you all !! ;-)

Out this morning making the most of the sunshine, approached a roundabout, dropped down a couple of gears, pulled away. All good so far !!

Went to change up and the gear lever wouldn't move ! Thought I had missed it so visually checked and foot was still attached to leg. ;-) Tried again with no joy, then tried dropping down a gear, worked fine. Tried going back up, nothing !

Waiting by the side of the road, checked everything over. Noticed that Oil light had come on the dash, checked oil, all ok. Now I'm confused !!!

Anyone got any ideas ? Coz I'm stumped !

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
58 Posts
copied this from the RC8 picture thread

The circlip holding the pushrod in the oil pump came off and wedged in the gear selector, this made the oil light come on and the bike was stuck in first gear, this happened in the isle of man so the RAC had to bring it back to the midlands, NOT VERY HAPPY.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers !

Had a quick look and cant see that as being the problem, everything looks like it's in place. :frown:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Big Vern, taking it over to the dealer tomorrow so will find out whats going on. Just wanted sorted before Donnington ! :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike neilc, sounds like the same problem i've had, speedaway have had the bike for over a week now, if you drop me a pm with your number i'll give you a bell and tell you all about it.

stu

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hopefully everything alright with the bike now Neil?? Was interested if you or Go big had any probs with the bike slipping out of gear prior to final breakdown?? Was out in the sun today for first day after first service and finally giving the bike some revs, which was initially fun, but bike disconnected itself from gear at least 5 times. It was happily in gear and then lurched as is going in and out of gear repeatedly until forced in. I am aware that this may well be due to me not engaging the gear properly BUT once going into third something felt like it gave way and the oil light came on for a few seconds and the bike didn't want to go into any gear. I managed to hustle it back into first and pulled over. Checked oil and it was all fine and dandy, no leaks no visible prob. Then got back on and had no problems going home, although wasn't working the engine as hard due to paranoia..........now am thinking the gearbox could pack in any moment which is giving me the fear big time, although I suppose you can always clutch it in if it jams up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
YEP mine came out of gear three or four times with the oil light coming off and on, scary really because i was on the mountain section on the isle of man giving it everything its got, i havent heard off Neil to see if he had the same problem as me.
I think this problem will become a recall, Neil's bike had done 1600 miles and mine was on 1800.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cheers for reply. Hope yours is back on the road mate. Guess I better get it to the dealer then, although I'm sure they'll palm me off until it actually does go. Very disappointing isn't it? This sort of thing shouldn't really happen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cheers vern, got mine back on friday however i havent had time to try it out, yes mate it is very disappointing, nearly 16k it owes me and now i'm in two minds wheather to keep it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Don't give up on her just yet, especially yours which is particularly trick! Would you tell me the name of your dealership cos wouldn't mind passing it onto mine so they can call them up to see what they had to do. Just a matter of re-attaching???? Another post on here saying bout KTM re-developing section of gear box too so there is light at the end of the gearbox tunnel......

·
Registered
84 Posts
I brought mine from SPEEDAWAY, they are a good bunch of lads up there, what i was told by Paul the service manager is its a simple fix, they ordered a new oil pump from Austria and sent the faulty one back, i dont know if this is a common fault that will end up with a recall or i've just been the unlucky one.
This is my first twin and first none jap bike, i found it hard to live with at first but fitting the akro has transformed the bike and now i love it however i like to travel alot and need the reliabillity.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks a lot for that info mate, it'll be really useful when I get on the blower to them tomorrow. I can understand how you've lost faith a bit and are feeling a bit unsure bout reliability but hopefully it'll be fine once the teething troubles are over. I had a superduke that never missed a beat and spoke to a guy with a 990 adventure which had 95K miles on and was pulling harder that ever he thought!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think MORT might even suggest an MV instead !! :D

I didnt have any problems slipping out of gear at all, just dropped it down a couple and then it would go back up through the gears.

I've just heard back from the dealer, waiting for a part (dont know which part yet, message via the wife) from KTM, should be back on the road by the weekend.

Apparently there is no internal damage to the gearbox, to me it sounds exactly like GO BIG's issue, circlip coming off and lodging in the gearbox.

As soon as I get over there and pick it up I will find out exactly what the issue has been and let you know.

Neil

·
Registered
765 Posts
thats why i never buy the first year model ... feel sorry for you guys but feck that after spending 10k on a bike i want it to never break down ... think i stick to my honda blade never let me down from new ... 3 years of non failures on anything on it ... is a shame as the rc8 looks the nutz ...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cheers Neil. Mine hasn't been a prob since yesterday when oil light came on for a few seconds, no missed gears and no coming out of gear. Took it to dealer and mechanic gave it the once over and took it out on road and said it was fine too. Very strange. Half of me thinks that there was no problem and i was being a bike hypochondriac, other half is waiting for the break down. I don't get the oil light coming on when bike was ticking over and not close to stalling and why bike wouldn't get in gear. As he says though you don't get intermittent faults with mechanicals, not like electrics so who knows?! Happy she's working though and glad both you and Go Big are back in business. BTW dealer says he's never heard of the circlip coming off and wedging on a KTM for years and years. Now he has!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts