KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking at fitting a Jester can to my RC8R and will do the SAS block off plates and get it mapped by a dyno tuner.

Any recommendations for a ecu flash / dyno tuning shop in the Essex/Suffolk area?

Happy to travel a couple of hours if need be. I hear BSD pop up a lot in previous posts, just wondered if there are any others.

Also, any idea of cost?

Cheers all and merry Christmas! P.s anyone local fancy a spin when we are allowed again?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
TuneECU used to have loads of free maps for this kind of shenanigans. Peeps got their bikes mapped and then loaded a copy onto tuneecu. Pretty sure KTM served them some paperwork to stop being silly. But I'm sure there'll be plenty of bikes loaded with a map that would suit. Perhaps someone on here could share theirs.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I was looking at this on TuneECU recently, the maps are still there but the page is now called orange bikes or something

And if you can’t find them I’m pretty sure I’ve got them on a laptop here

·
Registered
294 Posts
Track Electronics in Norwich fettled my RC8R - very impressed with the service and level of knowledge. I'd use him again no question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, really appreciate the feedback.

Unfortunately the new lockdown means the RC8r won't be going anywhere in a hurry

But as soon as we're allowed, I'll get it booked into the place in Norwich or BSD.

I was thinking of getting it remapped with the Jester exhaust, stock air filter and baffle IN.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had mine done at BSD last year (summer 2020)

they did an absolutely outstanding job, they mapped each cylinder individually for fuel and ignition using tuneECU.

The difference was like night and day, it no longer stinks of fuel and the tank range has increased dramatically (which is helpful with a small tank & thirsty twin!)

I had previously taken it to someone who supposedly is an RC8/R guru but they did not do a very good job at all.

Can't recommend BSD highly enough - I won't be going anywhere else from now on.

They were very professional, great communication and explained everything they were doing in as much detail as you wanted. The complete opposite of the other place.

And yes I'm up for a ride out if we ever get out of lockdown again.... maybe 2025?!

(I'm in St Albans, Herts so not a million miles from Essex/Sussex)

PS. 2009 RC8R, Akrapovic Evo1, K&N air filter, SAS removed

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dave Wood Motorcycles (winner of KTM RC8 Cup) did "KTM Chris's" RC8 - he provided 2 maps (baffle in and baffle out). Using TuneEcu we could 'install' either for whatever. Someone on here (different thread), mentioned that they (DWM) didn't map cylinders individually, but I have looked at the aforementioned maps, and front and rear maps ARE different.
I helped a neighbour transport an Aprilia Tuono R to Track Electronics near Norwich, but listening to what he explained he had done to get the bike running sounded like bull-s#!t - nice enough chap though.

Stay safe Peeps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dave Wood Motorcycles (winner of KTM RC8 Cup) did "KTM Chris's" RC8 - he provided 2 maps (baffle in and baffle out). Using TuneEcu we could 'install' either for whatever. Someone on here (different thread), mentioned that they (DWM) didn't map cylinders individually, but I have looked at the aforementioned maps, and front and rear maps ARE different.
I helped a neighbour transport an Aprilia Tuono R to Track Electronics near Norwich, but listening to what he explained he had done to get the bike running sounded like bull-s#!t - nice enough chap though.

Stay safe Peeps.
It was DWM that I took the bike to originally, and they did a poor, rushed job on mine.

When I took it to BSD, they said it was one of the worst they'd seen, it was massively rich in the middle and very lean up top.

I know for a fact that DWM did not map the cylinders individually on mine as the lockwire on the bungs was untouched.

The dyno chart DWM provided showed there was about 25 minutes between the first and last dyno runs. When I challenged Dave on this he got very shirty and tried to fob me off some excuses.

Compared to when I was at BSD the bike spent almost 3 hours on the dyno and countless runs.

Ultimately it came down to DWM being over booked and my bike took a back seat until the 11.59th hour I was due to collect it and then they rushed it.

Not all bad though, Dave did deliver the bike back to me and they did properly do a couple of other jobs I had requested, like change the clutch fluid.

But overall a very negative experience, the complete opposite of BSD, which was fantastic. Not just the results but how professional they were from start to finish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's good to have 'feedback' (personal experience) like this - good or bad. I might give BSD a look (CoVid permitting) as I have tried a few different maps, the best being 'KTM Chris's' (baffle in) one. Just a bit worried about the fragility of my engine (ref. threads about piston mismatch and clearences).
Original Poster asked about cost - Track Electronics quoted something like £50 to do a Dyno run (to see what you got) or £450 for a Dyno tune. What did BSD cost ?? (if I might be so bold to ask).

What is it about DAVEs ? - I gave DAVE Barkshire (Norfolk KTM squealer) a bit of a bashing on here !

Reactions: HKP

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's good to have 'feedback' (personal experience) like this - good or bad. I might give BSD a look (CoVid permitting) as I have tried a few different maps, the best being 'KTM Chris's' (baffle in) one. Just a bit worried about the fragility of my engine (ref. threads about piston mismatch and clearences).
Original Poster asked about cost - Track Electronics quoted something like £50 to do a Dyno run (to see what you got) or £450 for a Dyno tune. What did BSD cost ?? (if I might be so bold to ask).

What is it about DAVEs ? - I gave DAVE Barkshire (Norfolk KTM squealer) a bit of a bashing on here !
I don't mind you asking at all - BSD charged £300 and in total I was there for about 4 hours, it was on the dyno solid for around 3 hours followed by a test ride by Mark (Brewin, the B in BSD. The S and D stand for Stingy and Dyno, apparently).

I had to book ahead and the lead time was about a month. A few days before I was due to go, the bike broke down, I didn't know why at the time so I had to cancel (they were fine about it because the had a waiting list) and then wait another month for a new slot.

Best £300 quid I've spent, wish I hadn't wasted my time and money with Dave Wood but you live and learn, I'll never be going back there again even if you paid me. He didn't give a shit about me or my bike, or that was the impression I got, anyway. He (Dave) also tried to bullshit me on more than one occasion, he was full of it I'm sorry to say.

Most other Daves I know are fine though 😁

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good result, I expect the low end jerkiness has gone due to removing the O2 feedback.

I switched mine off but the fuel consumption is mid 20s, getting about 90 miles on a tank. The low throttle opening response was buttery smooth though.

Switched back on and I'll see 40mpg, maybe 120 miles per tank without (literally) pushing it, but have to keep the revs above 3.5k to control the hunting around.

I'll be booking in for a remap ASAP, as I want the best of both worlds.

Out of interest what mileage can you get from a tank now?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good result, I expect the low end jerkiness has gone due to removing the O2 feedback.

I switched mine off but the fuel consumption is mid 20s, getting about 90 miles on a tank. The low throttle opening response was buttery smooth though.

Switched back on and I'll see 40mpg, maybe 120 miles per tank without (literally) pushing it, but have to keep the revs above 3.5k to control the hunting around.

I'll be booking in for a remap ASAP, as I want the best of both worlds.

Out of interest what mileage can you get from a tank now?
It's significantly better, everywhere, but especially low down and now running in town is a dream, not a nightmare. The throttle response is now unbelievably good.

Prior to BSD I was getting about 80 miles to the low fuel warning light with average riding, and it would be empty around 100.

Post BSD I'm now getting 100 miles to the light (full-on fast riding with mates) with another 20 or so in 'reserve' - I did run out at 125 in Scotland last summer...

.. the next petrol station was another mile, thank f*** I had my emergency ration with me.

More relaxed riding I've seen 120 to the warning light so a total range of around 150 (!!!!!!) yes really.
That was coming back from Scotland on the motorway, cruising along at 90.

So a massive improvement overall. The fuel consumption really bugged me before, it was the one thing about the bike I really disliked. But now, I'm much happier.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah thanks for that, fuel efficiency is something people overlook in mapping.

I'll be paying BSD a visit when the weather turns a bit better, you're not the only one saying good stuff about them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah thanks for that, fuel efficiency is something people overlook in mapping.

I'll be paying BSD a visit when the weather turns a bit better, you're not the only one saying good stuff about them.
it's a thirsty, large capacity twin sportsbike and I certainly didn't buy it for fuel economy - I know that's going to be poor.

But couple that to a relatively small tank (16.5L) and it means stopping to refuel all the time.

Now that doesn't bother me when I've popped out locally for an hour or two's ride.

But once or twice a year I go away with the lads for a 3-4 day trip like Wales or Scotland and having a half decent tank range is important when you're doing 3-400 miles in a day and often in rural locations where petrol stations are a bit more few and far between.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Know that feeling, trundling around Wales on a Sunday evening, managed to make it to the only station in the area before it shut at 7pm.

An extra 15-20 miles range really helps, cheaper than buying one of those bigger tanks for sure.

Are you also using the bladder type fuel packs for carrying extra fuel on the long ones? I'm just wondering what my mates will have to carry in their panniers for me and my thirsty bike :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Know that feeling, trundling around Wales on a Sunday evening, managed to make it to the only station in the area before it shut at 7pm.

An extra 15-20 miles range really helps, cheaper than buying one of those bigger tanks for sure.

Are you also using the bladder type fuel packs for carrying extra fuel on the long ones? I'm just wondering what my mates will have to carry in their panniers for me and my thirsty bike :D
I've got a Givi 2.5L tank - this one - not expensive and saved my bacon in Scotland

it fits nicely inside a Kriega us-10 tailpack which sits on a rack in place of my pillion seat & also takes my puncture repair kit & pump plus a couple of other odds & sods.

like one of these
silkolene-one-shot-octane-booster-100ml/
because I can't guarantee I'll find super unleaded in some rural stations and mine is an early R so shouldn't be run on 95 fuel (although 95 is better than running out....!)

HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's great info!

So are you planning on keeping the O2 sensors and remap it? To improve fuel consumption and rideability?

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's great info!

So are you planning on keeping the O2 sensors and remap it? To improve fuel consumption and rideability?

No, the O2 sensors were removed.

(they were removed when the akrapovic was fitted, prior to my ownership of the bike)

Now the ECU's been flashed and it's running properly, no need for them (so BSD said)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll keep mine plugged in but switched off in the ECU after being remapped, saves on buying O2 bungs. It's possible to fit wideband sensors but after a full mapping session you'd not benefit much by having them, and they're expensive too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahh right, sorry for some reason I thought you said you'd get the best of both worlds with O2 - ON and a remap.

Are you guys running stock air filters or aftermarket? I know a lot of big twins tend to run best with oem filters even with open pipes, just wondered if that was the case with the RC8?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts