KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys first post here.
Bought an rc8 privately last week and when riding it home I noticed oil leaking out from high in the engine. Dropped it into local shop and they tell me its the head gasket, some o rings and piston rings need replacing. He is to get me a price next week. Any ideas if this will be a major job and should I be worried about a monster bill??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
213 Posts
If the bike has had all the recommended services & it's less than two years old you should get it done under warranty.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
hi and welcome to the forum!
is it from the rear cylinder? because there is an issue with oil leaking from the airbox (fumes that stay there).
This can be fixed by installing a oil catch bottle with 2 tubes (from the rc8r) at the tail

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi and welcome to the forum!
is it from the rear cylinder? because there is an issue with oil leaking from the airbox (fumes that stay there).
This can be fixed by installing a oil catch bottle with 2 tubes (from the rc8r) at the tail
It is actually from the rear cylinder but there is way too much oil coming out to be just fumes.
No service history guys. To be honest i now suspect the bike has been raced. No hope of warranty I reckon.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It is actually from the rear cylinder but there is way too much oil coming out to be just fumes.
No service history guys. To be honest i now suspect the bike has been raced. No hope of warranty I reckon.
i take it you bought it super cheap? has it got no service book of any kind?

If not im afraid your right, warranty is void..... fingers crossed for you bud!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i take it you bought it super cheap? has it got no service book of any kind?

If not im afraid your right, warranty is void..... fingers crossed for you bud!
I did get it a little cheaper but not cheap enough as it turns out. Expensive lessons being learned unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When you say it is way too much, can you define it?
cause when I first noticed it I thought that the problem is the head gasket as well. Oil had covered the whole rear cylinder.
Try to wipe out the oil good, clean it well and have a close look after a ride to see where the oil is coming from.
I bet it comes out of the airbox.
And if you bother to open the airbox up, you will see a "small lake" of oil.
check it out

·
Registered
341 Posts
What the "local shop" say it needs sounds like classic money making talk, i.e they are having you on and you don't know any better.

If its the head gasket then it just needs a head gasket, they can't know it needs piston rings until the open it up (and I would be 90% sure it doesn't need them)

I would try somewhere else (after you checck teh advice Ravendark just gave you)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say it is way too much, can you define it?
cause when I first noticed it I thought that the problem is the head gasket as well. Oil had covered the whole rear cylinder.
Try to wipe out the oil good, clean it well and have a close look after a ride to see where the oil is coming from.
I bet it comes out of the airbox.
And if you bother to open the airbox up, you will see a "small lake" of oil.
check it out
I removed the tank and checked the airbox. There was oil in there. The airbox sump drain wasnt full though. I was putting it down to overfilling oil. Surely it cant be right that much oil should come back up.
There was oil all down the left side of the engine actually running onto back tyre.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
You'd be surprised how much can collect in the airbox when the bikes are thrashed for extended periods, hence the R version coming with a catchtank system. I had it running down the rear block on to the exhaust at the Nurburgring. I thought it was the valve cover that was leaking but turned out to be coming from the back of the airbox

As already recommended, I'd just clean the airbox and any oil that has leaked out, then watch to see if it still happens in normal use (ie, not full-on track sessions) unless of course there's so much oil coming out that you know for sure it's the cylinder head

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What the "local shop" say it needs sounds like classic money making talk, i.e they are having you on and you don't know any better.

If its the head gasket then it just needs a head gasket, they can't know it needs piston rings until the open it up (and I would be 90% sure it doesn't need them)

I would try somewhere else (after you checck teh advice Ravendark just gave you)
Hmmmmm...... I think he said prob piston rings once the head was opened. Thanks for the input guys appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I removed the tank and checked the airbox. There was oil in there. The airbox sump drain wasnt full though. I was putting it down to overfilling oil. Surely it cant be right that much oil should come back up.
There was oil all down the left side of the engine actually running onto back tyre.
Yeap! left side.
install the oil catchtank (fat tony could help you with searching on this forum :D ) and youre done.
No gaskets no nothing! ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeap! left side.
install the oil catchtank (fat tony could help you with searching on this forum :D ) and youre done.
No gaskets no nothing! ;)
Yeah but how the hell is the oil getting up there. I dried it off let the oil out and refilled with 3.5 litres (3.6 recommended so i left it a little shy). I now knew there wasnt too much oil in there. Took it for a short spin at low revs and oil is dripping down still. If oil were to keep coming out like that there would be no oil left! Im sorry guys but i dont get it. Are you saying make up a catchment tank and let it drain back into oil filler cap or something??

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
No mate, if there's that much coming out it's unlikely to be oil vaporising in to the airbox.

Difficult for us to comment really without seeing photos of the quantity of oil you're talking about or the frequency of it happening. The oil vaporising in to the airbox is usually only on extended use when really working the bike

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
No mate, if there's that much coming out it's unlikely to be oil vaporising in to the airbox.

Difficult for us to comment really without seeing photos of the quantity of oil you're talking about or the frequency of it happening. The oil vaporising in to the airbox is usually only on extended use when really working the bike
Or if crank pressure is blowing oil past a seal. (Balancer shaft on the LC8 has a little seal ring on the end of it - and if that wears, a lot of oil is blown up into the airbox).

Dermo, did the shop tell you what they did to arrive at their prognosis? Ive heard of very few head gasket failures leading to oil leaks. And unless they did a compression test or actually removed the piston, then rings needing replacement sounds a bit iffy.

IF rings are not sealing properly, then that can lead to blowby, excess crankcase pressures - and blowing of oil out into the airbox. However, not sure how that fits with a head-gasket failure.....
If they havent done a compression test, then they are talking out their arse a bit with the rings...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
One moment please...
First things first:
Have you check your oil level?
If you did not replace your oil filter then you have more oil than it should.
With your engine at operational temperature, turn it off, wait for a minute and then on the upright position check the dipstick. The oil level should be at the middle

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plus surely if a gasket had gone let alone piston and rings on a V twin you'd know about it.
How does the bike run generally ?
The bike sounds fine and is not overheating on the temp gauge. Fan is kicking in as it should. Everything else sounds fine. Dont know if its lacking power cos Ive nothig to compare it to. Although I dont think will pop the front wheel if I just roll on the throttle when moving in first.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The bike sounds fine and is not overheating on the temp gauge. Fan is kicking in as it should. Everything else sounds fine. Dont know if its lacking power cos Ive nothig to compare it to. Although I dont think will pop the front wheel if I just roll on the throttle when moving in first.
I'm no expert, but sounds fine to me. I go along with the others about the oil overflow.
I had a head gasket go on an IL4 once and it wouldn't even start through lack of compression.
Wheelie,,,,,,,,, give some gas, back off then crack it open again, I'm sure she'll come up :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts