KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you sold the older engine separately... How much would you let that go for?
It's all crazy money. Just to give you an idea I paid £1000 for an RC8R bottom half shipped in to UK from Arizona.
A big proportion of that cost was shipping and import duty. Live and learn.
I intend to rebuild that half engine with top end from my original knackered RC8R bottom end.
I also have this crazy idea to maybe incorporate 1260 pistons and oversize liners...
When I am finished I should have a bottom end with a cracked casing which would make a great door stop.
If I let you have it, you would at least be getting a decent crank, pistons and liners from a bike that had done 22000 miles.
Bores look good and no marks on pistons.
You any good at putting these back together?
You give me help you get old engine as free gift.
I got so pissed off with the rebuild (valve timing issues) that I subsequently paid over £2000 for a complete twin spark engine with wiring loom...
That is now installed and I am now trying to figure out how to flash the replacement twin spark ECU.
Live and learn some more...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never tried to rebuild an engine before, so no i wouldn't be much help, but an idea I've had is to squeeze a stupid big thumping v twin into a small sports bike. So to grab an engine now would mean I've got something to work towards over the coming years and learn. So right now I wouldn't be any help I'm afraid. I take it you mean you'd like help with the valve timing then?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nearly there. Spent far more than I intended...£5995?
I've never tried to rebuild an engine before, so no i wouldn't be much help, but an idea I've had is to squeeze a stupid big thumping v twin into a small sports bike. So to grab an engine now would mean I've got something to work towards over the coming years and learn. So right now I wouldn't be any help I'm afraid. I take it you mean you'd like help with the valve timing then?
I know what I have to do, it is just finding the time to do it - competently...
I timed to the wrong cylinder when I set it up first time and kept repeating that same mistake.
I have been down the road you are about to embark on and would caution sanity.
The one thing I have found dicking about with these RC8 lumps is that modern electrix are fiendishly complicated.
Whereas older carburretted stuff has a rather more simple logic. Either the fuel goes in or it doesn't!
You also have to consider brakes and whether the chassis is up to the job.
Honestly you are better buying an old shitter with a big lump in it and practice on that.
Bandits are going cheap and the 7/11 swop out is not a bad route to take.
Start with a Bandit 750cc, find out how it all works and then upgrade to the 1100/1200cc over time.
Another route would be the Kawasaki Zephyr 750. Looks like a classic and they go for peanuts if scruffy.
Parts cheap and readily available. Paint it green & yellow and sell on as a classic rebuild.
Parts for KTMs are stupid money. Gasket set cost me over £300. I can buy a knackered Jap bike for that!
If it has to be a V-Twin you can learn a lot from a Harley Sportster which has a natural upgrade path from 883cc to 1200cc.
At least you would get something for it when you sold it...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts