KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howde all,
a newbie here looking at a first KTM purchase.

A quick question though, I have seen a bike registered as a 2011, that has RC8R black and orange fairings.

However, it has a black frame and bare alloy swingarm.

Is it just a 2011 twin spark model, or was there ever an 8R that had the black frame?

It's a cracking price and low mileage, with the first big service just done.

I'll be using it as a day to day bike, doing around 15,000km per year in mixed urban, motorway driving.

Am I mad?

Answers on a postcard... :)

Cheers,
A

·
Registered
283 Posts
im pretty certain that all RC8r's had orange frames and black swing arms (someone might correct me), if its got the R decals on the fairings then id have to ask the owner. it could be that they just preferred the look of them, or they could be trying to palm off a non R as one.

this is most likely a 2010 non R registered in 2011, and its had the fairings swapped.

typically most R variants go for £7k and upwards, so if its cheaper than that it most likley isnt one. is it listed in the sales post as being an R?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@WhiteMarmite: Thanks for that. All of my researches have turned up the same.

It is being listed as an RC8 1190R with some extras, like a quickshifter and rearsets. It is a very keen price, and very low mileage. To be honest, I'd be more concerned that it is the improved 2011 model, rather than an R model.

I suppose it is a question of finding out if the owner knows what it is, and if the description is just being a bit lose.

It is very close to me, so going to have a look on the weekend. Will report on inspection.
Cheers.

·
Registered
283 Posts
the biggest telling point will be the wheels, ALL R versions have forged marchesini wheels which look like this

https://www.ktm4u.co.uk/spare-parts/ktm-powerparts/on-road/1190-rc8-superbike/rear-wheel-rc8r-cpl.-black

if they have the cast wheels, then its likely not an R. or the owner has swapped them for wheels that are worse. if they're being purposefully deceptive about the model, then maybe theres other things they are being dishonest about. just saying that the owners honesty is a big deciding factor, they could just honestly be misinformed when they bought it.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Howde all,
a newbie here looking at a first KTM purchase.

A quick question though, I have seen a bike registered as a 2011, that has RC8R black and orange fairings.

However, it has a black frame and bare alloy swingarm.
Your description makes it sound like an original RC8 (not R / twin spark), these were registered well into 2012 as I could vouch for (though I did upgrade the wheels ;) )...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all that.

@VeeTwin: Yeah, it looks a lot like a cooking model with R body work. The wheels, frame. forks and swing arm all look like model above.

Is there an easy way to tell if it is the twin spark engine?

Would you be able to tell from the VIN plate?

·
Registered
283 Posts
not sure the vin will help unless you have access to the KTM database, i would assume the owners manual might be different? other than that, itll be looking for two spark plugs?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
2011 RC8R should look like this :) Difference Twin spark has 4 Spark Plugs and water pump housing is different,bigger oil cooler and U can see the Coils and spark plugs on the left side of the engine and 175 BHP the old RC8 is only 152.2 BHP;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
2011 RC8R should look like this :) Difference Twin spark has 4 Spark Plugs and water pump housing is different,bigger oil cooler and U can see the Coils and spark plugs on the left side of the engine and 175 BHP the old RC8 is only 152.2 BHP;)

Are those 2 Rs on the correct wheels?

·
Registered
371 Posts
R model has different form fender and rear subframe (no passenger footpegs) by the looks of it, too.
twin spark is easier to recognise: one of them is almost dead on top (maybe not easy to see other than the wiring going to it) but the other one is well out to the side.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Thanks for all that.

@VeeTwin: Yeah, it looks a lot like a cooking model with R body work. The wheels, frame. forks and swing arm all look like model above.

Is there an easy way to tell if it is the twin spark engine?

Would you be able to tell from the VIN plate?
Are you able to share a picture?
If it has a black frame IMHO it's unlikely to be an 'R' of any type.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
There were basically 3 generations of RC8. These are the year of manufacture.

1. The original 2008-2010. Black frame, ally swingarm, cast wheels.
2. The RC8R 2009-2010. Orange frame, black swingarm, forged wheels.
2.1 The RC8R Track, Red Bull and Akra reps were this model also.
3. The Twinspark 2011 onwards. Orange frame, black swingarm, cast wheels.
BUT plenty were registered in later years.

Yours sounds like a version 1 with version 3's dress on. I'd be more concerned about crash damage.
All subframe's took passenger pegs.
If you're doing 15,000km a year in urban and motorway. Have you considered an SMT?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
These are the 'posh' wheels, only found on the original 09/10 RC8R and a few exclusive, tastefully modified rides ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest, I was looking at Superdukes, 990s mostly.
Then some RC8s popped up in budget, but early models.

Then the one in question, a purported 8R.

The net is wide, as I was also looking at Z1000sx too. An SMT 990 would be cool, but they seem to be rare enough and even more expensive for the year than stablemates.

I want a fast road bike that has decent low sped manners, but that I can take on an occasional track day with minimal effort. My old ST4s was ideal,a s a few tweaks and removing the mirrors gave me a decent Inters machine.

The RC8 is unique in its adjustabiity for comfort, so that is why I was looking at it as a possibility. That and the fact that it is penguin-shit cool, with added orange goodness.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If your budget is such, there's nowt wrong with a clean, tastefully modded early RC8... I loved mine & you're spot on re- the combination of comfort, speed, handling & of course that relative exclusivity :smokin:

Now where do we start with this... ;)

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Bet that's from north of Birmingam ;), good to see you are alive VT.

The rc8 has never been known for its low speed smoothness. Or the 990's. That only came with the 1190adv/1290sdr. I'd try the z1000sx. Not as nimble or cool as an 8, but winters coming.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If your budget is such, there's nowt wrong with a clean, tastefully modded early RC8... I loved mine & you're spot on re- the combination of comfort, speed, handling & of course that relative exclusivity :smokin:

I thought you would not have the Gall to post a Picture of your RC8 on here :rotflmao:
Have U been out on the MV lately :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts