KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am by no means an expert but Im sure the only R bits on this are the panels.
A trawl through Google images shows all R models have orange frames and most have black swing arm,even Track R's have orange frames.
As mine is a standard 8, I could not tell you if 'R' appears on the log book, hopefully a 'Grown up' will be along soon to tell you more !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Bet that's from north of Birmingam ;), good to see you are alive VT.

The rc8 has never been known for its low speed smoothness. Or the 990's. That only came with the 1190adv/1290sdr. I'd try the z1000sx. Not as nimble or cool as an 8, but winters coming.
Winter is no excuse :rotflmao: _MLS3243.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Right, got to have a look at the beastie today, and it is as suspected, a cooking model RC8.

It has been down the road on its right side, with marks on the front brake lever, master cylinder, and even what looks like a graze on the top of the clocks.
The kicker though, was the witness mark on the swing arm from the rose joint on the linkage for the rear brake.

So, it had been bought at an auction in the UK, then registered in Ireland as a 2011 bike, but it is definitely a pre-2011 model. The bodywork is black and orange RC8R.

It has the cast Marchesini wheels. There are aftermarket rearsets and a quick shifter on it. It also has KTM-logo blanking plates on the side of the heads, which I presume are from the KTM equivalent of PAIR valves, or rather their removal.

Now, it has only just had its first major service and looks straight, though I didn't ride it. It is cheap for a 2011, but as the owner did not seem to know the difference between an 8 and an 8R, plus the evidence of having been dropped, I think it best to leave it.

However, even with the bars a good 12mm below the headstock, it still felt bloody comfortable. It felt exactly like the riding position of my old ZX-636R A1p. And that was a comfy machine. So, not a wasted day at all. I now know an RC8 fits me :)

So, thanks to all for the help and the pointers.

A

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad you got chance to look and discover it was a pooper...
There are some real bargain stock 8s out there, also some total piss takes, take your time and bikes don't sell well at all in winter, you know theRC8 concept works, buy an unpopular stocker for a bargain, enjoy and trade up !

·
Registered
14,997 Posts
Certainly do... If you mainly ride twisty A or B roads. The handling is superb, sounds great (with the de-cat), fairly comfy, reasonably quick, though more suited to a relax and enjoy the scenery mindset...

Hows the AMG go? :smokin: Petrol I hope.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts