KTM Owners Forum banner

Rc8r Woes :(

11K views 76 replies 23 participants last post by  nostromo 
#1 ·
So my 8 keeps cutting out,tonight it cut out but i got it restarted while i was rolling,then the headlight started to dim and flash then she cut out again and wouldn't start,so i removed the fuse for the headlight and bang she started,got home and replaced fuse and she started again fine,hooked her up to the charger and first reading was 13.5 v which seems healthy enough,i have no faith in it atm as its just had a brand new battery fitted! any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Well, did it do it last time after it being washed ? Did you just wash it recently?

It could be that or the indicators but tbh I'm not overly technical myself and I'm sure somebody will pop along in a minute to help.

Failing that they'll quickly turn the thread in to something to do with moss repellant or similar :)

Reactions: Papalaza
#11 ·
I hope that wasn't moss remover it's a bit harsh for bike cleaning... Unless u have got moss growing in a hard to reach place :rotflmao:

#9 ·
Sounds like a bad flux capacitor, at 1.21 gigawatts they are hard on batteries.

#10 ·
The voltage at the terminals of a fully charged battery will be about 13.8 V which will fall almost immediately to 12.8 V when a load is connected to it.The voltage will continue to fall under load to about 11.6 V which to be on the safe side should be considered discharged. You can get a good indication of the condition of your battery by cranking the engine for several seconds with coils disconnected so engine doesn't start ( you need a mate to give you a hand to do this ) whilst measuring voltage at the terminals of battery. If it drops below 9 volts its knackered.

Anyway from what you've said and the fact its just had a new battery its unlikely to be that unless its not getting charged properly.To check that, start engine and measure volts at battery terminals. Should be around 14 - 14.4 Volts. If all this is okay, check all connections between battery, voltage regulator /rectifier ( I think I spotted this on my 8 above front wheel inside front fairing ) Keep an eye out for any wires that have rubbed through / chaffed and may be shorting out to frame etc.

If your near York PM me and I'll have a look at it with you. :)

#12 ·
Cheers ykdickybill im abit aways from you in brum lol,i think the battery is fine when connected its showing between 13.5 and 14,it has enough power to crank,i took her out on sunday and she ran fine for about 20 mins then i closed the throttle from high revs in second and she cut out,started back up again after 5 mins and was fine for a little while longer then cut out again this time in first mid revs,then this morning she wouldn't turn over,i could hear her trying but just wouldnt start and the battery was fully charged,starting to loose faith in my 8 atm ,im going to take all the fairings off and check all the connections tonight and a have a tidy hopefully its just something silly and easy to remedy. cheers for all the input guys.

#14 ·
Might be or the tps,i cleaned and wd 40ed everything last night and she started running fine,started fine this morning but cut out 3 times before i reached work :( not looking forward to the ride home.....

#39 ·
A friend of mine ran his own riding school. Many many years of riding and instructing.
Nice guy.

He accidently left the sidestand down on his crosser and catapulted himself into an oncoming car's windscreen on a left hander.
Was in a wheelchair for a looonngg time.

We ripped the piss out of him for months and months.

#45 ·
Well i'd go round any part that should decide to cut out the engine at any given moment.
There are some rules that make the bike shut down.
Sidestand deployed, clutch pulled, 1st gear engaged it should start. Drop the clutch it should shut off. So check sidestand switch, clutch switch and starterbutton/kill switch.

There is no temperature indication (it stalls both hot and cold), It is an electrical problem as the headlamp seems to be reacting everytime the issue occurs. Which puts me slightly towards the engine kill switch or starter button. As its not uncommon to have the headlamp dim while cranking the engine.

Could be a battery connector worked slightly loose? Or one of the main power cables.
Or the rectifier maybe?

#46 ·
I'm with John on this.
The diimming of the main light before cut out certainly suggests a charging circuit problem.

Either the alternator, the rectifier or the regulator.
Or more probably the wiring/connections between them.

First thing to check though, is the battery terminals.
Are they secure and are the cables/terminals in good condition.

#47 ·
My batt terminals and connectors look fine(i didnt add any grease or pj to it though when i fitted the new battery,ill check the reg rec,ill have a peep at the alternator(excuse my ignorance but i can just take the casing off on the left hand side to get to the alternator?) ill check the kill switch wires tonight too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.