KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one on here living in France? Brittany to be more specific... We are thinking of moving over there, but have no idea if there is much Bike/KTM/RC8 action.

Also undecided about registering the bike on French plates, and if I did, How to get over the 108 BHP limit.

Comments welcome

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
France you say?

Sorry, no help at all, but any excuse to post that clip :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
We are moving to france in about 3 years time and have the same issues.

You cant keep the bike registered on British plates for more than 2 years as far as i know - we have relatives who have had the same with cars.

In terms of bikes - French bikes are sold with restricted power maps and as soon as you get / have to have french plates you have to get the bike certificated which would probably mean a restricted map and dyno test. You can buy R1's etc - all with hugely reduced power!

It might be simpler to buy an RC8 in france and then have it derestricted which is naughty, but what i would do to be honest.

Others may have more info on this (and more accurate timescales and facts) and i'd be really interested to know as i have 4 bikes that will need doing! :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a mate who moved to France several years ago. He used to have a UK registered bike, but as I understand it he then had to come back to the UK to get it MOTd each year.

I'm sure there are various options, but in the end he found easier to simply get a French market (and therefore restricted) bike.

Mitch

·
Registered
885 Posts
I lived in Paris for three years and while I was there I bought a French Superduke. It was sold with a 100bhp map as per the french regulations, but at the first service I asked them to upload the regular "full power" map and they just did it for me. It's an issue with regards to legality and insurance, but if you're nice to your dealer, they don't seem to have any issue doing it - and all the bikes at the track days are full power (the expression the French use).

When I moved over there I had a 2005 ZX10R on UK plates.. I kept it on UK plates at the start and also with my UK insurance.. Then, it got nicked from outside my apartment (despite being chained to a lampost and alarmed - they used an angle grinder to cut the lock off then chucked it in a van - fuckers..). Anyway, I digress, what nearly caught me out was the fact that you should have your insurance with a local provider if you're not resident in the UK any more. I was able to use my old address based on the fact I was there for work and didn't know how long I was going to be out there. I never reached the point of having to re-register my ZX10.

When I moved back to London I still had the SUperduke and had to get that re-registered in the UK after a certain period, but it wasn't difficult. All I had to do was change the headlight unit, get some paperwork from KTM UK and submit it to DVLA. I think it cost me about £120 or so. Doing it in reverse is a bit more tricky, as someone here mentioned, as you have to, in theory prove it conforms with their power limits.

How's your French?? I didn't really speak any before I went out but am fairly fluent now. I ask because lots of French speak good English, but I found that nearly all the bike shops/dealers were less able and I had to learn the French vocab to get anything done.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the input fella's

I don't want to seel my bike and get a Euro spec version, Not because I'm worried about issues with getting it re-mapped to full power etc, I just like my bike and want to keep it.. So perhaps I could leave it UK registered, and return once a year for the MOT?

Just the insurance to sort then? Do you think a French insurance company would insure a UK registered bike resident in France? Or indeed would a UK company insure me with a French address?

·
Registered
885 Posts
And, presumably, if you were to claim you were living in the UK when you weren't and were to get cover based on this assertion, you could well find yourself without cover if something happened and the truth came out....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sorry slightly off topic but if only you knew how good the roads are around that castle in the monty python sketch you would be there in a shot. Cracking bit of the country.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
it's an english castle, given to the scots

1 - 13 of 13 Posts