KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can't hurt to get a Power Commander - especially if you aren't buying cans from a recognised large brand like Remus or Akropovic, who you know will have at least dyno'd the cans.
I find the 'intelligent' ECU on my '10my SMT to be a pain, constantly hunting around 4-5k revs. I've ordered GPR cans and I'll be bypassing the O² sensors and setting up a Power Commander on a rolling road in the next few weeks - hopefully I'll be able to report a huge improvement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Shep i would go with the map, the 990s are always lean to get through emmisions regs, i am pretty sure you will be able to get a KTM dealer to upload the akra map fairly cheaply, made loads of difference to mine

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input phanson.

A power commander would be nice but the budget wont stand it at the min so that's on my Christmas list haha.

Ive been looking for info on bypassing the co2, will this make much difference do you know? and how do I go about it?

Good with your mod's and hope to read about them soon.

Shep

Can't hurt to get a Power Commander - especially if you aren't buying cans from a recognised large brand like Remus or Akropovic, who you know will have at least dyno'd the cans.
I find the 'intelligent' ECU on my '10my SMT to be a pain, constantly hunting around 4-5k revs. I've ordered GPR cans and I'll be bypassing the O² sensors and setting up a Power Commander on a rolling road in the next few weeks - hopefully I'll be able to report a huge improvement.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Shep i would go with the map, the 990s are always lean to get through emmisions regs, i am pretty sure you will be able to get a KTM dealer to upload the akra map fairly cheaply, made loads of difference to mine
Thanks mattylad.

I was hoping that would be the case, it making loads of difference that is. I'll have a word with the guys at LeisureTrail or RedLine and see it they can do it for me.

Cheers Shep

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I would of thought that there would hardly be and difference between the JC Exhausts / Akras and Wings if you were to them on the same bike on a Dyno without the db killers fitted ? I wonder if this will cause any arguing ? And a slight difference with the db killers fitted !

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have fitted Leos and removed the small air intake snorkel and the dealership did my bike no probs and yes a huge difference with stronger feel and smoother throttle.

I would leave your o2 sensors and do the AKRA map without hesitation, I may look at a PCV and auotune later.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Your KTM dealer should have a diagnostic tool which will allow them to alter the fuel allowed by the ECU in the exhausts - so you could leave the CO² sensors in place. I had them do that as a stopgap until I get on a rolling road and it's working so far.
£25 bypasses the sensors completely - there are plugs available off Ebay.
I've heard quite a few people say the Akra tune is a race tune (necessitating you run the exhaust sans baffles) and the bike runs really rich ALL of the time, affecting mpg quite badly. So no good for me - I like an exhaust which sounds good, but can't afford to alienate the neighbours at 7am!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your KTM dealer should have a diagnostic tool which will allow them to alter the fuel allowed by the ECU in the exhausts - so you could leave the CO² sensors in place. I had them do that as a stopgap until I get on a rolling road and it's working so far.
£25 bypasses the sensors completely - there are plugs available off Ebay.
I've heard quite a few people say the Akra tune is a race tune (necessitating you run the exhaust sans baffles) and the bike runs really rich ALL of the time, affecting mpg quite badly. So no good for me - I like an exhaust which sounds good, but can't afford to alienate the neighbours at 7am!
Yes I heard the same about the AKRA map being a race tune, hence the question. I'm looking for a smoother ride and not to decrease my mpg as i'm quite happy with the return i'm getting. I'm thinking try the bike with the cans, then get a re-map and see what the difference is in performance and mpg, then decide whether to swap map back. Or get a map switch and flick between the two (have seen a thread on here somewhere about that)

Cheers for your input

Shep

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have fitted Leos and removed the small air intake snorkel and the dealership did my bike no probs and yes a huge difference with stronger feel and smoother throttle.

I would leave your o2 sensors and do the AKRA map without hesitation, I may look at a PCV and auotune later.
Wise words my friend I think I'm going down that route.

Thanks for input

Shep

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi,
we (in the german KTM-forum) have a guy from Austria, which is called "Highscore"
He is a well known tuner and builder of exhaust manifold. (The 990SM/SD Remus exhaust manifold was developed by him)
He also makes injection tuning with his "Kastl" like the Remus Powerizer/Powercomander.

He has made maps for all different KTM 990´s.
In the combination:
- with Exhausts like Acras, MIVV etc.
- with Acras and his tuning airbox (+5Ps)
- with Acras, tuning Airbox and power exhaust manifold (Remus) +10Ps

990 SM Neues aus der Tuningküche - 950/990 SM - 950/990 Sumo Tuning - www.ktmforum.eu

990 SM Wer hat Interesse am Remus-Krümmer für die 950/990 SM? - 950/990 Sumo Tuning - www.ktmforum.eu

990 SM Sammelbestellung - Highscore Tuningteile - Kastl, Airbox und Krümmer für SM - 950/990 Sumo Tuning - www.ktmforum.eu

·
Registered
153 Posts
I read a lot about the restrictive airbox too, I am looking at making two new replacement side covers for my stock airbox with perforations or slots to allow a little more air in.

With the intake snorkel the original opening is 85 x 30 and with that removed is has a 91 x 47 hole to breath through so it is 1.68 times the size and the intake tract is some 190 mm shorter, instead of the snorkel pointing at your nuts the intake is at the front allowing more cooler air in, the up side of this over the MH assembly is that it is free and way less induction noise over the open MH assembly, I would rather listen to the sound system at the rear.

Also the SAS system is quite taxing on your airbox robbing it of air all the time so this is on the list to get capped off, I have the resistors etc I need so the FI doesn't throw a wobbly.

Mate of mine with a Hypertard has the PCV and Autotune and it works great, it has even taken huge deductions through the mid range on the map where the DP ECU is far too rich thus this remains as fuel in the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts