KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it I think I am ready to go. All the bits have arrived and are on the bike.

* KTM Tank Protection Bars
* Scotts Triple Clamp
* SW Motech Alurack & Carrier
* KTM Panniers
* AndyStrapz 30L Bag
* KTM Gel Seat (SMT style)
* G2 Throttle Cam
* Kaoko Throttle Control

Still to go on;

* Touring Screen
* Original 17T sprocket (16T is too much fun around town!)
* Garmin eTrex GPS
* Oh and me!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome! Phillip Island is on my short list of GP's that I want to see in my life time. I really hope to some day make the trip down under.

Have fun.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm almost ready too! Just need to fit the heated grips for the Snowies. :burnout:

The SMT is almost ready out of the box, but I've added a topbox and the KTM bag a lot like your AndyStrapz bag, which will sit in front of the topbox. Be nice to have the panniers for the pillion rides, but not at $900 for the SMT ones.

I was also quoted about $400 for the tank protection bars. Is that what you paid? Can you post some closeup pics of the mountings? They look like a great idea - fall protection, trailer tiedown points and a spot for mounting airhorns and lights. I looked at getting them from the UK at half the price, but the postage was as much as the bars. :eek:

Not going with a tankbag?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
v2rider,
I got the tank protection bars from aus as I found out they were available too late and yes they were just under $400.:frown:

I bought a whole heap of stuff from bikers jersey (www.bikersjersey.com) in one order and did not have to pay for freight. :smokin: This is the case with orders over 50 pound value. You need to allow a fair lead time as if something is not available they order and wait for all bits before sending.

I got the panniers from Bikers Jersey about half the price of what they were in aus, but the SMT ones are dearer again. Just looked at the SMT panniers and they are 268 pound which is approx A$500. This would easily qualify for the free freight.

I am not keen on the tank bag so I have not bothered. I have a Kriega R35 backpack that i will be taking as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just ordering the tank bag now. 2 weeks lead enough you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It looks like everyone is ready for the party.... Phillip Island is just 2hr ride from me.
But I cant go this year. Have to work the race weekend,damn it.
Have fun guys~~

To Ascottf
How's the ergo seats??
I wanna get one for myself:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just have the standard SMT seat on mine, and wouldn't change it if it was free. Worlds better than on the SV1000 I had before - last big ride was 600km, and didn't even think about the seat. The SV seat made me squirm after 150km. If you have the SM and want to change seats, price the standard SMT seat and the gel seat, and go with whatever's cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks V2rider. Actually mine is SMT as well. I been through the 750 gixxer seat so the SMT seat is fine for me. Just the wife is whinge about the rear so I'm trying to do somthing to solve this. BTW any thread on the wind noise thing?? I just found the GIVI screen from the distributor and the price is A$179. Sounds pretty good to me.:smokin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ergo seat heaps better for long trips than the standard, but for track days you need the original!

v2rider, two weeks will be close! It may be okay if they have in stock!

·
Registered
277 Posts
SMT wind noise thread here: http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37121

The Givi D750S is mentioned in that thread, but no-one has posted an impression of it yet. $180 sounds ok for a touring screen, it may be worth it if a favourable review comes in on it. Yes, that was a hint :) I have played with cutting down the stock screen, which just makes it worse - better to just remove it, even if it makes the bike look strange. I cut it in a curve that fairly well matched the curve of the shoulders of the screen, but another poster reported that it was pretty good with the screen cut straight across and quite short. That's next on the list of things to try.

Ascott, not looking good. Email from Tony reports they expect it in this week, which means it's not in stock now. Trying to find out the extra cost of FedExing it and how much difference it makes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts