KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 model year RC8 has a tail tidy. The old LED indicator stems were damaged so I got some Oxford LED lights as a replacement. Both the original and replacement lights use resistors to rectify the flash frequency. However, now I seem to be having a problem. Without the resistors the flash right is too high but the lights are of correct brightness. With resistors wired as per instructions the flash right is correct but the lights are very dim. I've checked both the old and new resisters and both sets are 10 ohms each.I have tried wiring the resistors in parallel and in series just to be sure - no difference. Anybody experience anything like this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Make sure the LEDs are rated to 6v
Unfortunately KTM decided to make the indicator circuit 6v instead of the usual 12v

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining. This is the first vehicle I've come across with 6V indicators.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah its a real pain because its so hard to find LED indicators rated for 6v
I ended up using bulbs. No resistor required and easy to find.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having a hard time finding LED 6V indicators. Contacted R&G who told me that all of theirs are 12V. Non-LED 6V indicators are no good - too much resistance. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah finding LEDs that work is a pain.
I found some chinese 12v 2watt LED COBs on Ebay that work without resistors but need a housing.
Not very bright but work OK

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
An LED actually only needs and wants about 2 - 2.5 volts across it in order for it to work, I've just fitted a set to my old 2007 Speed Triple 1050 and even though I did not order any resistors to stop the 'hyper-flashing' they came with an inline resistor both on the positive and negative lead. So in other words if you can work out what resistors to fit and can get hold of them (and are handy with a soldering iron) then you should be able to get any set of LED indictors to work.

I actually went for a set of boggle eye indicators from this guy, the quality was OK but not great. (I purchased two pairs)..

LED NANO BOGGLE MOTORCYCLE INDICATORS BLACK / MOTORBIKE HIGH POWER PAIR | eBay

As far as I can tell the ones below are exactly the same as the ones above but for a lot less money for two pairs...

I also had a nightmare with the flasher unit but that's another story!

Just found this site below, it has a handy chart near the bottom that gives resistor values...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Did you buy these for the RC8 and they are bright enough? I already got resistors as I'm replacing broken indicators (stem broke)
I bought them to replace the floppy indicators on my Triumph Speed Triple 1050. The originals were 10w not the normal 21w. (12 volt). I've not been out on my bike since fitting the LED jobbies. In terms of brightness they are OK but not super bright. I might replace them with something else but the problem is that it is 'pot luck' when you buy stuff on the internet. I suppose I want small indicators that look good and maybe have multiple LED's in each actual indicator.

·
Registered
401 Posts
An LED actually only needs and wants about 2 - 2.5 volts across it in order for it to work, I've just fitted a set to my old 2007 Speed Triple 1050 and even though I did not order any resistors to stop the 'hyper-flashing' they came with an inline resistor both on the positive and negative lead. So in other words if you can work out what resistors to fit and can get hold of them (and are handy with a soldering iron) then you should be able to get any set of LED indictors to work.

I actually went for a set of boggle eye indicators from this guy, the quality was OK but not great. (I purchased two pairs)..

LED NANO BOGGLE MOTORCYCLE INDICATORS BLACK / MOTORBIKE HIGH POWER PAIR | eBay

As far as I can tell the ones below are exactly the same as the ones above but for a lot less money for two pairs...

I also had a nightmare with the flasher unit but that's another story!

Just found this site below, it has a handy chart near the bottom that gives resistor values...

I bought the RYDE ones before...stay away from them, i bought 2 pairs and on all 4 indicators the lenses kept falling off...(thats why i used all 4...)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oxford Nano LED rear indicators are a direct fit and work perfectly, straight out of the box. The flash rate and brightness is superb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts