KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long shot but does anyone know of a good way of protecting the rear shock on the 950sm from the shit flung up by the rear tyre. This winter has really taken its toll on my WP spring and I just want to prevent it from getting worse. I quite like the look of the standard hugger (even though it does absolutley nothing to protect the shock), so I'm not too keen on replacing it. I've seen some Adventures with rubber flaps fitted anyone done the same to their SM? Or anything different?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I made a shock cover for a friend out of a neoprene laptop cover and some velcro...seemed to work well and was only about a £5'er.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Cheers. Sounds like a good idea.
If you decide to make one, measure the circumference of the shock and make the cover a little bit smaller. A stretched fit will keep it in place. Also, I stitched a hem top and bottom for a lace to pass through. Once the cover is velcro'd in place the laces can be pulled tight to seal it top and bottom.

C

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you decide to make one, measure the circumference of the shock and make the cover a little bit smaller. A stretched fit will keep it in place. Also, I stitched a hem top and bottom for a lace to pass through. Once the cover is velcro'd in place the laces can be pulled tight to seal it top and bottom.

C
Was it velcro'd top and bottom? And once you'd threaded the lacees through the hems was the lace tied to anything?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Here you go mate, roughly what I made. Once the laces were pulled tight they were just snipped off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I see! It actually wraps around the spring. I thought it was a flat barrier between the spring and the rear tyre. Thanks for a lot for taking the time to draw that, you're a gent.

Vince

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Its not as fancy, but a piece of tire inner tube and a couple of zipties do a great job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not as fancy, but a piece of tire inner tube and a couple of zipties do a great job.
Thanks. It's a little frustrating how quickly the thing corrodes. I'm tempted to whip it off, get it powder coated, put it back on and then protect it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Has anybody tried Superenduro splash protection? It's "factory" version of Supatards one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Search shock tube,in google there £20 tho,but look good quality,but wondering if the cover will heat the shock and stop it working correctly....
Doh! forgot to the next page,already listed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts