KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
KTM RC8
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the rear shock springs are a bit on the stiff side on early bikes, depending on the year they're either 110N or 95N, later bikes shipped with 85N springs.

There's no rating provided on this listing, it's progressive rate though...

Has anyone fitted one of these?
I'm considering trying one, the OEM 85N spring is listed at about £50 more, and is linear.

I'm wondering if you saw improvement over stock, and if the stock damping was within range of suitable adjustment.

The vast majority of my riding is on the road, B-road blasts, which have undulations, I've wound off a bit of preload but I'm still getting thrown out of the seat, I'm able to compensate by standing on the pegs but I'd rather have the bike set up properly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry can't help you on Hyperpro but I do know the following:

• Non-R models were supplied with 110nm spring
  • Original R model (single spark) 2009-10 came with 95nm spring
  • Twin-spark 2011> came with 85nm.

I've just (as in last month) had my suspension serviced and on the advice of my suspension man (the very knowledgeable Darren @ MCTechnics who i've been using for years) I have changed the 95nm in my 2009R to an 85

I'm between 80-85 kilos depending on beer & pie intake and Darren said the 85nm was the right spring for me.

I also had an 85nm spring in the ohlins of my previous bike.

To be honest, I didn't find the 95nm too bad, a bit firm yes but not that I was desperate to change, but while it's out it made sense. I'd already had the spring out of the shock before, so I could have done the swap myself.

I've not ridden it yet so can't comment on how it feels. Will report back in due course.

·
Registered
KTM RC8
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 85N OEM spring is my plan B, it might just be worth taking a punt on the progressive one at £85, I suspect it can't be any stiffer than the spring that's fitted. I believe mine is 95N rather than 110N, but can't be bothered to go and check, either way I need around 85N like yourself.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
I went 110 to 95 on my original 8, the difference was minuscule and then had the 85 on the TSpark R. Which still pumped me out of the seat at times. Low speed bumps. Flat out, not a problem.
If I had my time again on an RC, I would talk to someone like Mupo about a shock. The rear shock is the bikes Achilles heal.

·
Registered
KTM RC8
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a reply from their tech support, the rate starts at 80N, so I've ordered one. I'll update this thread if we're ever allowed out to play again.

·
Registered
KTM RC8
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's noticeably softer, still firm, but better for road riding than before. It's still very much track oriented suspension though.

It was easy to fit, spring compressors are not required. Set the sag, but left the damping as before. They give recommended damping adjustment settings but as this is a 2009 bike I don't think their recommended settings apply. The old spring was 95N, the rising rate starts at 80N on the new one, so for my weight it's much better suited.

I will be making adjustment changes from this baseline once the new rear tyre arrives. I suspect I'll have to soften the front a bit.

Couldn't really push it, as it was raining and the rear has no tread in the centre section, but I did aim at a few potholes and speed bumps, this time I only lost one filling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just put my shock and linkage back in this morning as it happens, Spring* is around the corner

*sorry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts