KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else had a 1290 Adv r rear wheel corrode terrible?
At the first service it was photoed and sent to KTM, now at 2 year old it is so bad i am worried its unsafe.
Ktm dont want to know!
Ive had 2 1190 before with no problem at all.
This is just the back wheel, nothing else on bike shows any corrosion.Bike is only road riden, never been off road, never been near the sea and i wash off regularly with just water. I have never owned a bike where they say the wheels are consumables and need to buy new ones every 2 years!
2020-04-19 12.28.14.jpg
2020-04-19 12.28.26.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow that's bad! I have an Africa Twin, and its a well known issue on the earlier ones (2016) that spokes corroded, these were changed under warranty by Honda with no problems! KTM really need to sort out their customer service, because I think post Covid-19 the customer will be keeping their cash in their pocket unless things turn in their favour! KTM have been trading off their name for years now, (ive seen die hard ktm fans on this forum bemoaning them) I have had many KTM bikes and all but one were pretty trouble free, they were all old model dirt bikes, but all the new stuff seems to have shite QC and customer service seems non existent!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That's not good. Go to KTM UK if your dealer isn't interested, which I am staggered at to be honest!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think your best bet is to go to the Trading Standards people. I'm sure they would agree that the wheel is not safe and help you to get action from KTM.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Thats ktm uk for you:rolleyes: whats the front one like?
These are the reasons I chose a honda africa twin over a ktm adv. my old 950 adv ktm's are a great bikes but the modern crap they turn out gets worse by the day, marketing department gets all the funds;)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Very strange it's only affected the rear wheel..I got a nearly twenty year old gasgas that's been used off road and the wheels are in better shape than that..has the dealer seen any others like it

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
As said, ita wierd its rear wheel and not front .... rear tends to get protected by flung off chain lube (or mine does)

I have had an LC8 front wheel with rusty spokes before and l cleaned with a scotch pad and rubbed on some ACF50 and that worked quite well.

I cant see you getting anything out of KTM - they will just blame you for not cleaning off road salt or something.

·
Registered
447 Posts
the corrosion is originating from the spoke nipples (its all central) so to me it looks like galvanic corrosion.
if it were from salt/offroad you would expect the whole rim, or patches, of corrosion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts