KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That does look a good design.

My Draper socket had a chamfered leading edge which meant there would have been little if any contact with the socket up against the nut/washer. i had mine faced off with a wire eroder to get a non chamfered drive - much better..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m looking for a 60mm socket for my new KTM. Is the one offered above still available anywhere?

I found this one on eBay - any good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought this one:
It's 2in1 (60/40 mm), so can be used on both sides of a rear wheel, plus it's made of steel. With that kind of torque I wouldn't trust aluminum one.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I bought this one:
It's 2in1 (60/40 mm), so can be used on both sides of a rear wheel, plus it's made of steel. With that kind of torque I wouldn't trust aluminum one.
If U click on site it is Steel the Aluminium one is cheaper :rolleyes:
Buying from the US would cost LOADS :cry:

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I’m looking for a 60mm socket for my new KTM. Is the one offered above still available anywhere?

I found this one on eBay - any good?

Be careful with regular sockets. They're too heavy and stick out too far and won't stay on the nut under their own weight unless you physically hold them in place. If you're using a breaker bar, the moment you take the pressure off that big heavy socket will fall off the shallow wheel nut and drop straight onto your wheel rim.

The purpose-made sockets like PreparationH is talking about have a male boss inside which fits snug inside the spindle so the socket can't fall off the nut.
If you must get a regular socket, it pays to put it in a lathe and skim at least half the barrel down.
Regular sockets have an internal chamfer on the leading edge as well so they don't engage the whole nut. They can slip if you're using a fierce impact wrench and round the nut off.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I bought a load of them sockets off moto vision and sold them on eBay when they were under 20 euros.

Not worth it now price gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
I've a big socket. Bought it in haste. It works, but as said, you do have to take care or it drops off onto the Mr's best towels lovingly stuffed around the wheel. Especially when using a scaffold pole on the end of the breaker bar. It's a juggling act of precision muppetry.

Actually I only used the scaffold bar once. Wheel was booked in and was in a hurry. Borrowed it off a mate in the village quick. But he's so feckin tight and worried he wouldn't get his piece of off cut back I just use one of the ABBA front lift bars now instead. Just peel the end cap off and away you go, perfick. CRACK!

"Just emptying the tumble drier Dear, towels smell nice".

·
Registered
29 Posts
This seller is selling different models. 2017-20 being more expensive. Are they really different between years as I was under the understanding they are all the same?

2014-2016

2017-2020

·
Registered
32 Posts
After struggling with normal socket previously I bought one these (60mm REAR WHEEL NUT SOCKET KTM 1290 SUPERDUKE R & SUPER DUKE GT - 7075 ALUMINIUM | eBay) and although I've only used it a couple times it's been perfect. I was a little concerned about it being aluminium but using a long bar to undo and torque wrench to tighten was fine (probably wouldn't use with an air powered impact tool). With size and weight its ideal to carry with the tools under the seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After struggling with normal socket previously I bought one these (60mm REAR WHEEL NUT SOCKET KTM 1290 SUPERDUKE R & SUPER DUKE GT - 7075 ALUMINIUM | eBay) and although I've only used it a couple times it's been perfect. I was a little concerned about it being aluminium but using a long bar to undo and torque wrench to tighten was fine (probably wouldn't use with an air powered impact tool). With size and weight its ideal to carry with the tools under the seat.
Thank you, I ordered the same one and its now arrived.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts