KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I recommend TUTORO, I use it on a Suzuki and it is excellent, simple and quick to install and also for its setting. I stress that KTM Germany provides it as an option

Inviato dal mio VOG-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi, I recommend TUTORO, I use it on a Suzuki and it is excellent, simple and quick to install and also for its setting. I stress that KTM Germany provides it as an option

+1

Definitely not a Scottoiler...fucking messy!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Saw one fitted to an 1190 a few years ago and was going to fit one to mine, got as far as ordering as I wanted one for an upcoming tour and they had no stock and could not deliver for a few weeks, so went without and then never got around to it.

I then realized I had not fitted a new chain to a bike since 2001, sold my 1190 with 20k on the clock and it was still fine, made me re-consider if I really need one and all the aggro that comes with them, the only time I find them useful is touring in the rain when any lube is rapidly stripped from the chain, otherwise it is easy enough to oil it manually every 2-3 days on tour and now and again at home.

Had one of the very first TUTORO models back in 2008 on a ZZR1400, only bike I ever fitted an oiler to, but back then they were £20! At close to £100 now I kind of think that goes along way to a new chain if I ever wear one out before changing bikes - and with 4 bikes in the household fitting oilers to them all would be an expensive exercise.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Saw one fitted to an 1190 a few years ago and was going to fit one to mine, got as far as ordering as I wanted one for an upcoming tour and they had no stock and could not deliver for a few weeks, so went without and then never got around to it.

I then realized I had not fitted a new chain to a bike since 2001, sold my 1190 with 20k on the clock and it was still fine, made me re-consider if I really need one and all the aggro that comes with them, the only time I find them useful is touring in the rain when any lube is rapidly stripped from the chain, otherwise it is easy enough to oil it manually every 2-3 days on tour and now and again at home.

Had one of the very first TUTORO models back in 2008 on a ZZR1400, only bike I ever fitted an oiler to, but back then they were £20! At close to £100 now I kind of think that goes along way to a new chain if I ever wear one out before changing bikes - and with 4 bikes in the household fitting oilers to them all would be an expensive exercise.
There's no real hassle fitting a tutoro, except maybe getting the delivery tube to line up as you want it and stay in position.

It's easier than lubing the chain every few hundred miles and cleaning the fling off, especially if you use a messy lube!

I expect that you may spend more than £100 in lube over 20k miles, but there won't be much in it. For me my last 2 bikes had over 50k on the clock when sold so an oiler was definitely the way to go, but I'm now only doing 10-15k miles a year and haven't got round to fitting one to the current bike.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I make them and have installed one on all my bikes. I just use a primer bulb and give it 2 or 3 presses if it looks like it needs it.
It's mainly used when touring as I tend to look after the chain when casually riding as I like the chain to look clean so it gets cleaned & oiled often. Rear wheels gets a wipe with WD40 to deal with oil fling every few rides too.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
+1 PD Oiler

Once you get the delivery wick set right and the setting of the pump, you dont need to touch it, apart from refilling when needed, I manage well over 4,000 miles on 1 fill on this years summer trip.

Genuine fit and forget.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi
Thanks for all the info went for the tutoro , fits really nice very neat, time will tell if it works as good as seams.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I've just ordered a PD Oiler as I just know I'll keep forgetting to lube the chain and take some with me on my 2020 tours..

Hopefully it'll do the job..

Pic's etc to follow.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Just fitted one of these great big of kit

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
I make them and have installed one on all my bikes. I just use a primer bulb and give it 2 or 3 presses if it looks like it needs it.
It's mainly used when touring as I tend to look after the chain when casually riding as I like the chain to look clean so it gets cleaned & oiled often. Rear wheels gets a wipe with WD40 to deal with oil fling every few rides too.

That's a good idea, could mount it in thumbs reach. Try EP90.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's a good idea, could mount it in thumbs reach. Try EP90.
Yeh, initially I did plan to make the bulbs bar mounted but then realised that would mean running oil pipe further and also it might make the bar area look busy/messy.

Then once I'd used them a little I realised that the best time to apply it was when you are going to be riding slowly for a minute or so. This means that using when you first get on the bike, or have just filling the tank is a pretty good time to do it, so being able to reach it whilst riding isn't really needed. On my SD the oil pipe delivers to the side of the front sprocket so isn't as speed sensitive but on my 1190 it just drips on to the chain from above (near the front sprocket) so the faster you are going the more change it'll be blown away or just flung off as it hits the chain.
You could just run the delivery tube to the rear sprocket but I like the oiler to be as hidden as possible and I don't like seeing an oil hose cable tied to the swing arm.

If I ever run out of clean but old unused engine oil (and have to buy some for this task) then I might try some EP90, but TBH I can't stand the smell of gearbox oil, the garage stank of the stuff when I used it so I've not done it since.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Yeh, initially I did plan to make the bulbs bar mounted but then realised that would mean running oil pipe further and also it might make the bar area look busy/messy.

Then once I'd used them a little I realised that the best time to apply it was when you are going to be riding slowly for a minute or so. This means that using when you first get on the bike, or have just filling the tank is a pretty good time to do it, so being able to reach it whilst riding isn't really needed. On my SD the oil pipe delivers to the side of the front sprocket so isn't as speed sensitive but on my 1190 it just drips on to the chain from above (near the front sprocket) so the faster you are going the more change it'll be blown away or just flung off as it hits the chain.
You could just run the delivery tube to the rear sprocket but I like the oiler to be as hidden as possible and I don't like seeing an oil hose cable tied to the swing arm.

If I ever run out of clean but old unused engine oil (and have to buy some for this task) then I might try some EP90, but TBH I can't stand the smell of gearbox oil, the garage stank of the stuff when I used it so I've not done it since.
I was thinking, two thin brass pipes soldiered into one and the bulb attached to side of frame, primer bulb can be any orientation, and feeding just above front sprocket. Yep gear oil smells, but on an old none x/o ring chain, thoroughly oiled every morning I got 20K miles. My leathers were covered but I didn't care.

I like the simplicity of your idea, unlikely to fail or need maintenance. I'm sure new chain oilers are better but the old ones were like trying to crack a safe and more often over oiled the chain.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Here is where I put the primer bulb on my SD.

So I can easily reach it whilst riding or when stopped at lights etc.

I also drew up the system for guy on another forum so thought I'd share it here as it might help someone.
When you pump the primer bulb the shots of oil goes mainly up into the vent hose and then it slowly moves down towards the chain. I set the oil feed rate by stuffing cotton wool into the end of the vent line hose. It can take anything from 30 seconds to several minutes depending on how warm the oil is.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
So you get a slow, delayed release of oil on to the chain and then you don't have to think about it after doing it.
I give it 2-3 presses to load up the line and then start riding. It will deliver it at a rate that distributes it well over the chain. Without the delay line it'd just fire out in a big blob and likely run off the chain.

Those primer bulbs are not very good for controlled delivery, especially when the oil is cold. Also I don't want to have to worry about pressing that bulb gradually whilst riding. This way, like I said, is just 2-3 presses and then don't think about it again, just try not ride fast for a minute or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts