KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I used to have 1290 sas, but sold it due to electronics gremlins.
Nearly got stranded a couple of times by the keyless, and had dash light up like a Christmas tree on more than one occasion.
So I bought a k1600gt, great bike 100% reliable, but now want some more fun in my life.
Considering a superduke gt, 2020 onwards.
Have ktm sorted any of the issues I had before?
Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Dunnno, we have had a 1090/1190/1290 and clocked up about 40k on them without any problems, mate has a 55k 1190 and I know a bloke with a 35K SAS who has had no issues.

My SAS has only done 9k in 2 years, well one year really as I was not allowed to go anywhere last year, and not a sinle problem.

I think there was an issue with very early models Keyless down to wires in the switchgear being prone to interference, but they replaced then under warranty and newer bikes come with uprated parts.

A 19GT might be best bet as they were the last of the previous gen so likely to have had any gremlins ironed out.

As for the BMW I think you got lucku, everyone I know that ever had one of those soon got to know the inside of a recovery truck PDQ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put 13K on a 17 SDGT in 3 years, the only issue being warped discs, replaced under warranty without any argument. Replaced it with a 2020 one, which has 4K now. No problems. Do it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just for balance, I have a 2019 Superduke and the keyless has thrown a wobber twice for absolutely no reason leaving me standing on the side of the road for a few hours in total while it sorted itself out and decided to start working again. Only done 9500km thanks to Ireland being permanently locked down since last March!
Seemed that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery repeatedly on the side of the road helped to make it move the second time it happened. The first time it just decided to go when it was bored of annoying me.
Other than that the engine paint started peeling from new but replaced under warranty (this is a rare one) and I'd expect the rad to go at some point given the use!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s the keyless thing that bothers me most, nearly left me stranded in Calais when the bike was 3 months old

·
Registered
395 Posts
You have to ask...in the name of god, why go keyless?

I'm told keyless cars are dead easy to steal. Are bikes any different? And surely you need to take some form of actual lock with you if you are going to park anywhere...and that means a key, unless you use a combination padlock.

Does anyone know what the point of this was supposed to be in the first place?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If there was an option for a normal ignition with a key, I’d be much happier with the idea of another KTM

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The thing that bothers me most is the keyless, not just if it recognizes the fob, but the steering lock jamming, that too would leave you totally fucked.

When you see these old cars and bikes (Barn Finds) that have been sat for 50 years, virtually everything will be seized or broken except the ignition lock...

..So KTM re-engineer the most reliable part ever fitted to a motor vehicle for it to become the least reliable part - Well Fucking Done!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keyless, I couldn't dislike it any more. I have 650 miles on my SAS. The time I spent &#%&^$ around with keyless ignition I could have started my bikes with a key for the next 20 years. KTM needs to just stop with it, very unreliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts