KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far have you gone to remove a rounded bolt/nut

From getting my 450 exc 05 over a year ago it's had a rounded sump plug!
I tried many diff ways of getting it out, from hammering on an under sized socket/spanner , grips , hammer and punch , even grinding a slot though the middle to use a flat blade screwdriver !! All having no success!!!

So that's how it stayed and I drained the oil through the long oil screen hole!

Untill I brought a Clarke welder off of Facebook for 40 notes!
I first tried welding a new nut on top of the rounded one but coulddd get it to take!
I decided to try a 8 mm alan key and weld the sort end to the sump plug

It worked a treat!! Well Impressed!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hi,

Yip, good effort mate. A job well done.

Alan.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Nice one. Now whilst the patient is on the operating table I suggest you re route the speedo and brake hose around the other side of the fork before you rip it off on a rock and arrive at a corner doing 50mph with no brake!

Those sump bolts always seem to be over tightened.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good job!

I discovered just the other day that the 13mm socket I have always used is in fact the wrong size on my 250 EXC. The best fit is in fact Imperial size 1/2 inch (if memory serves me well), a perfect fit! No more rounded sump plug bolts!

G

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys (and knobby)

( FYI all I have to is look at my bike and it lays down!! The previous owner must of trained it like a Labrador)

It didn't have a copper washer on! Which wouldn't of helped.

Gunna do that brake line re route makes sense!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.