KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a stainless or other replacement bolt kit for the 950 adv as quite a few of my fixings are past their best and I was thinking about replacing them?
I'd prefer not to have to source individual bits.
Thanks for any information,
Paul.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Ktm tend to sell bolt kits (they have done for a few of the bikes I've had) at a reduced cost than purchasing individually. That said, they aren't specific about what is included

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Also interested in this, will ask a dealer...

I tried the eBay stuff - just really generic SS bolts, and as above - not that strong.... I also bought a kit from ?winding roads? or some aftermarket outfit, and again while were zinc, they were just generic and about 50% only matched the exact length.

It's one of those things you think 'how hard can it be?'... Or at least in my experience :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stay away from S steel bolts on high load parts...good quality nickle/zinc plated....
As far as I know there are several different grades of stainless fixings depending on application. I've certainly used plenty on my old Italian bikes over the past 20 odd years with no failures.
Having said that good quality plated would be just fine too.
I'll do some digging on tinterweb and ring my friendly local KTM dealer.
Cheers,
Paul.

·
Premium Member
11,645 Posts
As far as I know there are several different grades of stainless fixings depending on application. I've certainly used plenty on my old Italian bikes over the past 20 odd years with no failures.
Having said that good quality plated would be just fine too.
I'll do some digging on tinterweb and ring my friendly local KTM dealer.
Cheers,
Paul.
Yeh, I forget the grades, A3 SS bolts are compatible but don’t provide the shear strength of high tensile alloys… the high corrosion resistant SS like MG keeps its lustre and is tuff, but not much cop for bolts….

You can get the same look and corrosion resistant from high quality plated without limitations of SS, is all I’m saying. Cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Got one of them bolt kits from the dealer, £14 from memory. Could only use about 40% of the stuff as its more for smaller bikes I reckon. Keep meaning to go through the Fische and putting together a list for front end, back end and fairing, but too busy finding a good T5 camper--- feck now that is hard work and time consuming, plus wifey grief too.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Leave it covered in crud, then you can't see the rust.

·
Registered
936 Posts
god-almighty-bejesus-and-all-that

Yes, $$$$

Decided that I actually like rusty bolts - add character... :)
I considered getting at least the aluminium bolt sets to replace my own crappy bolts but experience now tells me stick to the cheaper ones...if you're constantly fastening and un-fastening bolts you gradually chew the heads up - I can imagine being pretty pissed off at having bought the titanium bolts that need replacing constantly.

·
Premium Member
11,645 Posts
Minimum Tensile strength of high tensile steel bolts. MPa
8.8 = 800 - 830
10.9 = 1040
12.9 = 1220

From Pro bolts site.
Titanium = 1030
Aluminum = 530
Stainless Steel = 570

Also SS is subject to galling with ally, more so than HT steel. All the normal HT bolts have a higher shear strength than the ones offered by pro bolts.

Best get the titanium one then....$$$$

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Minimum Tensile strength of high tensile steel bolts. MPa
8.8 = 800 - 830
10.9 = 1040
12.9 = 1220

From Pro bolts site.
Titanium = 1030
Aluminum = 530
Stainless Steel = 570

Also SS is subject to galling with ally, more so than HT steel. All the normal HT bolts have a higher shear strength than the one offered by pro bolts.

Best get the titanium one then....$$$$
Wor ee said^^^! Stainless is heavier than any steel bolt too, so your only advantage is reduced corrosion. If changing any random bolts I would be spending the money on titanium as it's a start towards shedding a bit of weight (which means you can eat more pies!).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.